It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Yuki or Richmond AS Laser?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I saw that the Yuki is available now but once more I need a little push in the right direction from you.
I am still not sure which Gyuto I should buy.
I like the recommended 240mm Yuki but I also like the Richmond Laser Aogami Super 240mm Gyuto.
The Richmond Laser comes with (in my opinion) the better Aogami steel instead the Yuki Shirogami steel.
As I told you the knive will not be used as a work horse so maybe there is no advantage for the Aogami steel.
You see I am unsure which one I should buy so please give me a little push in the right direction.
BTW: I´ll order the knive incl. a saya and I ask you to have a look at the knive before you ship it. I expect a knive which comes with a 10/10 ootb sharpness.

Please help ;-)

TA

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Yuki or Richmond AS Laser?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 pm 

To make it easier for people to look at the knives here are the links

Masakage Yuki Gyuto 240mm
Richmond Laser Aogami Super 240mm Gyuto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

To be honest, between the two I'd pick based on:

Whether or not I wanted a more refined polish of the Laser or the more rustic look of the Yuki
Whether I liked the looks of one over the other

Both have good geometry....both have amazing steels that I doubt most people could tell apart

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

To the OP. Don't expect any knife to come with a 10/10 OOTB sharp edge. The Masakages have one of the best factory OOTB edges. I'd put them at maybe 7/10, possibly 8/10 on some samples. If you get the AS Laser, you can purchase the finish sharpening package and have it professionally sharpened before shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:39 pm 

I tend to agree with Adam, you have to find something that separates the knives for you. If you like the Aogami steel instead the Yuki Shirogami steel that is one thing that would help make your choice. I like the looks of the AS Laser better but you might see the opposite.

And again, Steve is right. You can't expect a factory edge to be 10/10 OOTB. That might be an expectation of a custom but not factory.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

SteveG wrote:To the OP. Don't expect any knife to come with a 10/10 OOTB sharp edge. The Masakages have one of the best factory OOTB edges. I'd put them at maybe 7/10, possibly 8/10 on some samples. If you get the AS Laser, you can purchase the finish sharpening package and have it professionally sharpened before shipping.

I'm sure he he just wants the knife to be real sharp and both of these pass that test OOTB.

These two are knives I recommend all the time. I have little nit picky things I like or don't like about each but I can't believe you wouldn't love either one.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

TA <> If, in fact, you do want a 10x10 edge, here is your insurance... <--link

Regarding the two knives in question, I find the Yuki to require a more skilled hand. It will reward said hand with higher performance, but I'm talking extreme extremes here. The Yuki employs the thinnest grind I have ever seen on a knife, and requires extreme respect.

210 Yuki:

The AS Laser is quite thin at the edge as well, but she is thicker behind the edge which instills a stronger feeling on the board. The AS Laser is a more stout knife overall with more knife above the shinogi.

240 AS Laser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:00 pm 

Damn Mel, I have yet to see someone expose the essence of a knife quite as well as you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:51 pm 

Wow, that is indeed the thinnest grind I've ever seen, particularly since the knife seems quite thick at the spine!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 pm 

wow that´s insanely thin

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next