It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Yuki or Richmond AS Laser?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:16 pm 

Melampus how about the flex of the Yuki? I bet that is a fairly delicate blade. Would you say it is for soft veggies an boneless meat only? And I mean very soft veggies

JJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 am 

I have not used the Yuki specifically but generally speaking thinner, less supported edges can be used for most kitchen prep tasks (nothing frozen or bone in) but your technique has to be very good to ensure you are not introducing any torque or off center pressure to the edge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 am 

I love my Yuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:44 am 
Forum Moderator

That's my Yuki 210 in the photo. Here are some photos I took if you're interested in more details on the finish, etc.

masakage-yuki-210-gyuoto-larger-pics-t2122.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:18 am 

I have to say, I am very happy with my laser, but the Masakage is the better looking knife. I use mine differently than what you are looking to do, so I think I would probably get the Yuki if I were in your shoes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:11 pm 

I loved my Masakage Shimo. Different smith, and not quite as crazy thin behind the edge, but was the most athletic (does everything pretty darn well) knife I've used aside from a Kato and a Shig. Lot of people really enjoy the Yuki and will probably feel a little more special than the Richmond, though I've never handled one so take that with a grain of salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:09 am 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> Thank you, kindly. Now if I could just make a living off it…

MARK <> Only seems “thick” at the spine because it’s a 210 so there’s not much height to transition through. Here's my 240, and although mine is seemingly accidentally asymmetric, you can see just how close they grind to the hagane.

JJ <> No, it’s not particularly flexible. It is san-mai so the Jigane is soft, but it’s of typical stiffness. It is a delicate edge, yes, but as CEDAR, explains, it’s a knife – a knife that can cut butternut just like a tomato. BUT exemplary control is recommended with the Yuki, you can literally hear the edge…

BLOWFISH <> As do I. Extremely high performance tools…

DOUG/CHIP <> I don’t think anyone can argue against the Yuki as the hottie in this comparison, and yes, she extends a considerably different sensation when you have her in your grip. It is a sexy knife whose refined fit-and-finish complemented by Kate Moss' frame behind the edge has that special edge over the AS Laser in hand. The AS Laser feels like a much stiffer knife overall, and although its offers a very fine feedback, it lacks the intimacy of Kate Moss at your fingertips. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

thank you for opening a discussion in the forum.
I checked all answers and if I understand everbody correct both knives have their own character and they are very good in performance.
The Yuki design is different from the Richmond but I like it so I will order the Yuki.
Ootb sharpness: you are right. I only want a sharp knive and your review shows that the Yuki comes with a very good sharpness so there is no need for me to order the 'sharpening service'.
I kindly ask you to put this in the forum. I would like to say thank you to everybody who spent time to answer my question. This helped me to find my decision

You will receive my order tomorrow incl. The shipping adress in the US.

Many thanks for your outstanding service!
Oliver

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2