It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your top 3 Gyuto w/ best geometry
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 pm 

While your at it, see if Keiichi will put an upgraded ebony/blond ferrule on it. Might have to wait a few weeks but worth it. Doing that to my next knife. PM me when you get the knife, have a couple of things that you should look for. Will make sense when you get the knife.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:58 pm 

BDD, Have you gone to Jon's shop JKI? He has some really special knives. Personally I think Mark/Keiichi's knives are more my style, I've always admired what Jon is trying to. Import knives that are unavailable anywhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:14 pm 

Mucho Bocho wrote:While your at it, see if Keiichi will put an upgraded ebony/blonde ferrule on it. Might have to wait a few weeks but worth it. Doing that to my next knife. PM me when you get the knife, have a couple of things that you should look for. Will make sense when you get the knife.

Will do. And I did ask him if it has an ebony handle/blond ferrule. Don't like the generic Ho wood color handles.

Should hear back from Keiichi some time today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok, BDD query sorted - I will still wait for the flatter profile - while you are at it please inquire about this.....????

THX.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Is this the brand you guys like so much?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:47 pm 

Yea Mark that's them, very nice profiles and F&F are as good as Konosuke. However, to my knowledge they are only being offered in white #2. As you know is a great steel but unbelievably reactive, and to Anal types like me that don't dig the patina look, its kinda a PIA. also, the other dig is that their Kangi is screened not etched. I've about worn mine off.

Are you considering stocking them? IF so, check out Keiichi's selection on Ebay "Blue Way Japan." I've bought my 195 Blue #2 Deba and 210 Blue #2 Usuba. He's great to deal with too, like you Mr Mark, he's very responsive and cares about his customers.

If you want to mess with one, I'll send you my newly ordered 210 Special thin Gyuto in Ebony/Blond octagonal handle. It should arrive with the month?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

What would you stock if you were me?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:44 pm 

WOW, such pressure!!!

Guyto's, suiji's... they make a wicked 270 profile in Gyuto. Another knife nut I know has had one in home production for over a year and won't stop talking about it.

But given the other lines you carry, not sure what value Yusuke Sakai could bring to the CKTG brand? Their prices are maybe 10/15% under Kono but kono has better steels so price is really moot. Especially since Kono does the Masamoto KS profile.

I only grabbed one because it is the thinnest lightest Gyuto in the world 1.3mm at the heel and weighs 88 grams and is not flimsy. No other knife I have cuts like it. The blade is impossibly thin, absolutely no bevel resistance. I have it sharpened to 9degrees a side, cuts like a single bevel knife.

Seriously makes my other knives (Kono 240 Kiri, HD 210 Suij, Takeda) an effort to cut with (all-be-it minimum effort). Must be said that its not rock chopper, push/pull only. Also, people that like to bang the board while cutting would dull the blade quickly.

I use the Usuba push cut technique with it. Will also allow you to slice mushrooms, garlic like a single bevel. Although this maybe true, I still reach for my Nakiri for Onions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Ok I'm in. I'll have these shortly.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:50 pm 

if only 3
DT 240mm Carbon
Devin Thomas Chef 240mm Carbon - копия.jpg [30.78 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Itou 240