It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your top 3 Gyuto w/ best geometry
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:46 am 

Thanks MadRookie. Good pricing at Blueway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:50 am 

Damn the 210mm Sakai Yosuke gyuto is thin...1.3mm spine? Didn't think I'd see knives that thin. Now if only Blueway had a 240mm version.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 am 

Mark. This forum needs an "edit" (post) feature. :)

I looked further...they do sell a 240mm version of the Sakai Yosuke's at just under $300. 2.2mm (at the heel of spine). Still good specs (similar to Konosuke HD 240mm HD line knives). But not as impressive as their 210mm at only 1.3mm (at the heel). Might order the 210mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

BDD wrote:Mark. This forum needs an "edit" (post) feature. :)

I looked further...they do sell a 240mm version of the Sakai Yosuke's at just under $300. 2.2mm (at the heel of spine). Still good specs (similar to Konosuke HD 240mm HD line knives). But not as impressive as their 210mm at only 1.3mm (at the heel). Might order the 210mm.

Your "Edit" button is there, it is just hidden - to see it do the following: Go User Control Panel, Board Preferences, then switch the language preference from "English (United States)" to "British English." and walla the buttons show.....thx to another forum member - RDCollins, for this fix.

There is a 240mm thin (1,6mm) one - but it is currently out of stock.

I am also waiting for the thin, flatter funiyaki profile to pitch - see here:

http://www.foodieforums.com/vbulletin/s ... Ultra-Thin

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:05 pm 

Rookie, I bought the special thin 210 Yusuke Sakai from Keiichi (Blue Way Japan) about three months ago. Although its white steel, keeps a decent edge. The knife has become my favorite. See my review:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showt ... #post96980

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 pm 

Good thing I popped in here first thing. I was about to pull the trigger on the 210mm 1.3mm (spine@heel). Just seconds away...

Prefer a 240mm...and at 1.6mm (spine@heel)...impressive!! How does he do it?? :) These are possibly the most anarexic gyuto's out there.

Thanks for the heads-up MadRookie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 pm 

The special thin 210 is actually 88 grams not 95. I would not order the special think knife although its my favorite blade. It takes very good knife skills or you'll fold the edge. I have mine sharpened flat at 9 per side. The actually cutting edge is so small.

In my opinion, unless you are familiar with the Usuba motion, the special thin is not going be a good fit. Also, if your a rock/chopper, stay away, this is strictly a push/pull blade.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:22 pm 

Mucho Bocho wrote:The special thin 210 is actually 88 grams not 95. I would not order the special think knife although its my favorite blade. It takes very good knife skills or you'll fold the edge. I have mine sharpened flat at 9 per side. The actually cutting edge is so small.

In my opinion, unless you are familiar with the Usuba motion, the special thin is not going be a good fit. Also, if your a rock/chopper, stay away, this is strictly a push/pull blade.

Good tips. I have been a "rocker" but I'm planning to start using a Nakiri so i will become more of a "push cut/slicer". If I feel like "rocking" I'll go buy a Kono that doesn't have a Funiyaki edge. And, I've never used and chopped motions with my chef's knives. I never go for speed (e.g. as you see in those YouTube videos with guys trying to show off).

MadRookie, is the 1.6mm 240mm not listed? I looked through the webpage a few times. Didn't spot it. Just 2 sub-$210 240mm (one SS and the other W#2...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sakai- ... 3164wt_836). Perhaps he doesn't list knives till they are in-stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 pm 

BDD, Just send Keiichi an e-mail ken_omae@sea.plala.or.jp

Ask him what you looking for. He's so responsive and flexible. I say go with the special thin. The only knife that even comes close is my Mac 7" fillet knife. But that blade is so flexible you could tie it in a knot.

tell Keiichi i said hello. He's actually got another knife on order for me as we speak. Not telling what it is until the official unwrapping.

Not sure where you live but i'm always willing to let other handle my knives.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:44 pm 

Thanks MB. Will email Keiichi now. If I'm going to order a knife from JP it better be worth my while. Will order that 240mm "special thin" gyuto (1.6mm). Price is very good too.

Great that you actually allow strangers to handle your knives. I'm in LA right now.

Page 3 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next