It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Yamashin vs. Tojiro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 pm 

The yamashin cladding is quite reactive as well.

However the grind is nicely convexed and is a great start. Further down the road the knife can be thinned and turned into a BEAST.

I love mine and really have fun when using it. The W#1 is a joy and a half to sharpen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:26 am 

I'd buy a Victorinox before an ITK.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:02 am 

I just got my ITK petty a couple of days ago and it is reactive. Literally like Mel says. It changes color right before my eyes. And walk away and come back and it keeps going. It leaves a metallic taste in the food and on your hands so much so that I think I'm getting and overdose of iron these couple of days. I'm not liking it at the moment. Hoping that as the patina develops this will pass. Was thinking of getting a clad Blue #2 next but now not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:19 am 

I ended up getting the Tojiro ITK. Mine, while reactive, never stained food, nor left any metallic taste. As my first Japanese knife, i was pretty damn happy TBH. Learned how to sharpen on this knife, and learned how to thin/maintain a wide bevel.

I like the profile, and if I were to do it again, I'd probably still go with the Tojiro. I got a 210 Gyuto and a 800/4000 combo stone (elsewhere) for $100. Not bad.

The Tojiro I have did have a slightly uneven bevel, which has been corrected since, but no overgrinds near the edge. The same cannot be said for my Goko 240mm gyuto that had several overgrinds near the edge, and which retails much higher than the Tojiro (My Goko, however, was purchased during the Forum sale @99)

I still do not have any experience with the Yamashin.

Mowgs

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2