1. Are you right handed?
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
3. What size knife are you looking for?
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
I like carbon, but either will do.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
6. How much did you want to spend?
7. Do you know how to sharpen?
Basic sharpening, just jumping into learning more about it. I can put an edge on a knife, trying to refine my skills now.
I currently own a gyotu, petty, and paring knife. My gyotu is basically a laser, its a 240mm from Cut Brooklyn
. And my petty (Takeda) is very thin as well. Just looking for something a little more beefy that I don't feel I need to be quite as careful with. Open to all recommendations.
Also since I'm sure some of you will be interested, this is what my Cut Brooklyn knife looks like, second from the left (pic is not of my knife, but very similar).