It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 6 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: WOOOOOOOT!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

LUNA <> It's not the point of fakes or liars.

Working in an intern capacity is trying. You will be forced to learn & perform beyond your envelope... that's the point.. to expand it. This will push your being beyond it's comfort level, and it is there that your truth will show. Not until you get there, will either of you know who you are. But when you & the Chef get you there, if who you were is not who you are... it all ceases.

So... just be you.

What will be... will be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:05 pm 

Best of luck to you friend, truly.
Show confidence but not arrogance and like Mel said, just be yourself and enjoy the moment.
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 am 

Congrats Lunatic. I hope the interview goes well for you--I can't offer any advice specific to culinary jobs, but just be yourself sounds as good as any advice for a job situation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 pm 

Congratulations! Sounds promising. Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:11 pm 

Congratulations man!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:21 pm 

Congratulations! Go kick some interview ass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm 

Interview went well, didn't get to talk to the chef as he wasn't there but the Sous Chef seemed fairly impressed and offered for me to come in on thursday, friday or saturday for a trial day.

I'd be a lot more excited if I wasn't so damn tired... man this weekend took a lot out of me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm 

Lunatic wrote:Interview went well, didn't get to talk to the chef as he wasn't there but the Sous Chef seemed fairly impressed and offered for me to come in on thursday, friday or saturday for a trial day.

I'd be a lot more excited if I wasn't so damn tired... man this weekend took a lot out of me.

Thats a good sign, I'd say they want you for sure, pick a day, go in, and kill it!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:29 pm 

Rule 1. Be humble
Rule 2. See rule 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:55 am 

So today was my stage.

Started off in prep portioning out some pizza dough...

but I stuck with that until the Chef came around and asked me to come upstairs to the line with him. He introduced me to the cooks on cold side and away I worked.

The first thing they asked me to do was julienne onions for pickled red onions. The cook insisted on showing me how it should be done so he used my kohetsu with a fresh J-nat touch up that can push cut phonebooks :mrgreen: :lol: :P

He cut himself half way through an onion :lol:

I proceeded to slice the rest of the onions pretty quickly and one of the other sous chefs who I hadn't met yet wandered over and asked if he could see my kohetsu. I obliged and he didn't really show too much of a reaction. He then watched me slice the rest of the onions and asked where I learned my knife skills. When I said self taught he seemed impressed but I honestly couldn't tell. Later on in the night he was pretty expressionless.

I could go into more detail if you guys are interested in hearing it but basically I enjoyed my night, learned quite a bit, met some cool people and GOT THE JOB :!: :!: #BOOYA :D

Chef seemed impressed with me, but to be honest it's not hard to impress someone when you're a fairly mature and well educated 18 year old with above average knife skills and basic understanding of a busy service and cleaning.

Page 3 of 6 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next