It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why polish and edge?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:10 pm 

So, I was working through my progression of stones the other night and putting a really nice and polished edge on a blade, and my stepfather asked: "what's the point of going through all that trouble to get a polished edge?" How does it benefit the knife? In a strange way, I was a bit stumped on how to answer the question. On my older Sabatiers, for example, they seem to cut brilliantly with a pretty toothy edge (say about 2,000 to 4,000). Anything sharpening progression beyond that seems to provide minimal return. On some of my harder knives, however, I do take them north of 10,000, but I really can't tell a huge difference once I start to go beyond 5,000 of 6,000 grits. Thus, my question is this: What exactly are we getting by taking a blade all the way up through the progressions of stones to the super fine grits, and how does this actually translate to real-world use in the kitchen (would love to hear from you professional cooks regarding whether you take your blades to a super fine polish on a daily basis)? Does it really matter in terms of edge performance and durability by polishing that edge? I am guessing this is a fairly complicated answer to a seemingly simply question, but for those sharpening wizards out there, would really love to know how you answer that question.

Post subject: Re: Why polish and edge?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:19 pm 

Chester, very funny you post this. I was recently just thinking the same thing. I only take my knives to 5k. I am in a professional environment and I feel for high production kitchens a toothier edge on poly boards is stronger and gives better performance over time. Just my thoughts on the matter. All in all I think is is mostly a personal preference on what you enjoy the most.

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:54 pm 

Funny that you ask...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm 

Nice video! So I guess to refine the question: Are we sharpening/polishing our blades based on the composite of the steel or are we sharpening/polishing blades based on the kinds of foods we expect the knife to encounter?

I clearly could understand that a yanagi would typically be sharpened or polished to a high grit because of what it will be used for: Slicing delicate fish; But what about a typical gyuto or chef knife that may confront a range of foods? Is their an objective with those blades based on the steel or expected foods, or is the sharpening objective based more on user preference? I am guessing that the folks who work in a professional kitchen have a range of objectives from being able to completely cut but also the ability to have an edge last for at least a few shifts etc. before dulling? I have, for example, a 250 KS Moritaka. The hardness of that edge would hold a very acute angle and a reasonably high polish. But is that what the maker would envision for that knife, or again, is this based on a "depends" what you are cutting, question?

I know that a lot of you out there sharpen for a living. How do you determine what kind of edge to put on a knife?

Thanks for all your instructive input, folks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 pm 

Balance, grasshopper.......

Seriously, balance is always what I strive for. Sometimes pretty doesn't cut it, literally..........

Good vid, Mr. B.......

R

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:48 pm 

sometimes i do polish my knife but i usually only take it up to the 6000. that is good enough for my professional use for the most part

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:00 pm 

Actually a Yanagiba with an ultra polished edge isn't great either. Fatty fish is slippery stuff. Usuba can do with a lot more polish, cutting negi and doing katsuramuki and getting the best results can use a refined edge.

As far as what kind of edge I put on customer's knives, here's another post about a particular stone and knife type that touches on this topic.
strange-behavior-of-the-naniwa-aotoshi-t518.html

If they are cheap beaters like Mercer/Pampered Chef/etc, I give it the edge I know they like to have--toothy as heck, burr free, as shiny as I can make it. But if they have a knife they really like, or I can tell they are serious cooks, I always ask them what they cut with it, and adjust. It's one of the great things about having a real-life, skill based service instead of grinding everyone's knives on a machine and making them shave paper. I'm a human being and I want to help you eat, so I'll take 5 seconds to find out what you do with it.

I am shocked, however, by how many people reserve a 4 inch knife for "cutting up roasts".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm 

would the effect be different if you polished, and added a little tooth back with the HA diamond spray on a strop?

Not going that way, just curiosity gets the better of me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:12 pm 

brekk81 wrote:would the effect be different if you polished, and added a little tooth back with the HA diamond spray on a strop?

Not going that way, just curiosity gets the better of me

------------------------------------------

I've done that more than once. I've even found that some knives(I think it was a Fowler in 52100...) can get a really neat edge by cleaning up the edge to a high polish, and then scuffing it up on 1200 grit rod(like 2 strokes per side).

For me at least, this is where the real fun and challenge is in sharpening.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:38 pm 

But, why bring the edge all the way up the point of a high polish, then go back to scuffing with a 1200 grit rod? Wouldn't it make more sense to just polish upwards to a certain point of scratch and toothiness and then leave it at that?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next