It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why do I need a Moritaka KS 250???
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:38 am 

So here is my situation, in the last several months I purchased a

Masakage Shimo Gyuto 240

Richmond 2nd Harvest Gyuto 240

Tanaka Kurouchi Gyuto 240

What does the Moritaka KS 250 Gyuto offer to justify purchasing? Does it excel at certain tasks? Is it different enough to justify having it just for something else to use? Variety is good.

Looking forward to your thoughhts

Mike

Post subject: Re: Why do I need a Moritaka KS 250???
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:29 am 

I do not own one, but from what I see...

Pros:
1) Does not look like you have played with Aogami Super, very nice
2) Moritakas are generally well regarded

Cons:
1) You already have a KU knife, the Tanaka
2) You already have a knife with the KS profile, the Richmond Artifex
3) Moritakas are fairly hard and some users find them to be chippy

If you like the rustic, KU finish on your Tanaka, if you love the Artifex profile, and if you have a hankering for something in Aogami Super, then this is the knife for you. If you do not care particularly for any of those features, then pass. One of the most notable things about this sale is Moritakas don't seem to be talked about often and it would be fun to play with one. The other notable is the KS profile is limited to a small number of knives and they tend to be costly so this is a relatively economical way to play with another one.

...my $.02

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 am 

it seems like in the last few months you've purchased 3 pretty good gyutos of the same length. Honestly, id put the 160ish bucks you'd spend on this deal towards something you don't already have a few variations on. Maybe a 10k stone or a striping system.

Cards up, I'm saying this for a few reasons. The first is that i really want this knife and i don't want it to sell out quickly. The second is that being that the gyuto is pretty much your primary knife, i know how it feels to be pulled to another. The third, and probably more relevant reason, is that you could probably have more fun with that money than a fourth variation of your chef knife going out to a place really nice place with your SO, getting a bottle of wine and dessert. It will also buy you some cache for when you do drop 200 bucks on another knife.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:25 pm 

Completely, totally, just my 2 cents:

Cedarhouse gave a spot on analysis. I would add that if you are really hankering for another gyuto, and don't have any shorter/longer than a 240 (I acknowledge the differences in 240s, some maybe shorter or longer) I'd shoot for a 210 or 270 - you already have 3 around the 240 length. I have a number of 240s as well, and I really do enjoy using the two 210s that I bought for my wife for slightly smaller jobs and in tighter spaces. And I am looking forward to grabbing a 270 Kono HD2 when they are back in stock.

Again, just an opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:31 pm 

"need" is a very strong word. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mike, in your situation, I'd save that money for something else. The Moritaka KS isn't going to be radically different than your Tanaka KU, except it is AS steel. And you already have a KS style 240 in the Artifex.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 pm 

What has happened to our support group?!?!? No support at all for purchasing a Moritaka KS ? :?

I'm deeply concerned :P

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:50 pm 

mark wrote:What has happened to our support group?!?!? No support at all for purchasing a Moritaka KS ? :?

I too am surprised. Thought there would be much more support for getting it.

My initial thought was wait for something else, I have this covered in one way or another. This has been confirmed by the posts.

The only justification to get it seems to do a big favor for defaultanon and hook him up. I know what it is like to want a forum special and not have the post count. I really wanted the Suji.

Thanks for the feedback

Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 am 

FWIW, if I come off as lukewarm it's because I am not a KS fan. But the KS profile is loved by many, if you have not used a KS clone or have a KS clone already and want another THIS IS A KILLER DEAL. I am almost tempted because I have wanted to try a Moritaka, any other profile and I would have been all over this.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:26 am 

mark wrote:What has happened to our support group?!?!? No support at all for purchasing a Moritaka KS ? :?

Hah. Do notice none of us told him to use the money on something else, just to use it on another knife or stones.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next