It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 7 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: White Steel rusted?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:43 am 

desol I don't think you have to worry to much about poisoning with BFK but I hear you I don't like to use anymore chemical's then I need to.

desol so what you are saying is you just use a 5000k slurry and rub it around on the knife to clean it real good every once and a while.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:18 am 

I use the slurry from my Coticule (natural stone)...which is around 8k, and it works awesome. I'm sure any higher grit stone slurry would be fine tho...

Yep...I remove the staining from the knife every time I use it, but I don't do it right away. I finish up everything first...and then get around to cleaning/polishing later.
Eat first, etc...but I make sure to do it before I use it again.

It's important to use a soft cloth tho, cause you will get hard to remove, fine scratches (talking a polished knife here...not kurouchi) if you use something less than soft enough. I use a shammy that I got at a car wash...it really soaks up water well and it won't hurt the finish on the knife.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 am 

desol wrote:I wish I knew what the powder was that they used.
I can't say if it's still used today, but I believe the Japanese traditionally used Uchiko. It's a finely ground whetstone powder that comes wrapped first in a hand-made paper called Yoshino-gami, then in a cotton cloth. The finest pieces of powder come out when you pat it on the blade. If you truly want to go traditional... Only oil allowed to protect the blade between uses is Choji oil(type of clove oil if I remember correctly). Don't forget that rice paper is required for applying and removing the oil.

Sword care sites are the easiest place to find it currently. Here's one such link, contains a decent amount of traditional supplies http://www.ryujinswords.com/index.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:45 am 

Thank you very much for the link Mark. That's exactly what I found worked for me...whetstone powder...and it makes sense that most of the harder to find supplies would
be available from sword care sites.

I don't need to be 'too much' of a stickler, but I do require that the knife receives the expected attention....or the attention it deserves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Uchigumori Powder<--link

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:30 am 

That's the stuff Melampus...I wasn't sure if it was or not...but I'm glad to see that Mark brought it in.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:50 am 
Forum Moderator

It's been on the site for awhile, and apparently someone's buying it as it's outta stock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:03 am 

So that's it? Fine abrasive on a soft cloth? No daikon or unicorn hymen? Kind of anticlimactic. I was expecting all sorts of ninja trickery.

Any idea of the grit of that whetstone powder? I'm guessing it's fairly random. I know Simichrome is 8-10u and Flitz is ~3u. I'll stick to a known quantity but make sure to remove it prior to use with some white lightning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:12 am 

Nice.

No trickery...just the trick in understanding, that it is possible (and even desirable) to keep your $500 dollar carbon knife in nice condition. :?

(no offense to anyone!!! :shock: )

Took me a while to find what worked for me, through trial and error. Here you're gettin it all for free... :)

I don't mind saving people from screwing their finish up beyond repair.
(..and I'm not referring to patina :shock: )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:23 am 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:So that's it? Fine abrasive on a soft cloth? No daikon or unicorn hymen? Kind of anticlimactic
:lol: Almost spit up my scotch reading this... well played sir

It has it's uses besides taking off patina. I like it for bringing out the hamon lines on Honyakis that aren't as defined as I would like.

Page 6 of 7 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next