It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:53 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: White #2 and Hd2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:17 pm 

I want to know what the differences are between the HD2 and white #2 steels besides the obvious fact that white #2 is prone to rust.

Post subject: Re: White #2 and Hd2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

"Prone" probably isn't the correct term IMHO. It will rust, but I've had many, many knives made from white steel that NEVER rusted.

The differences...

White will get sharper...but you have to have the skills and equipment to do it.

HD2 is a stain resistant steel, but it will get a slight patina over time. Nothing like white will though.

White is easier to sharpen, by a slight margin.

Those are my observations....but I've never tried both on a long term basis to get a feel for edge longevity....then again I've never really done that for any of the really good steels as I'm just a home cook that like's to sharpen so my knives never really get dull. :)

At the end of the day, they are both great, great steels and I doubt I'd personally buy one over the other based on the steel. I'd use some other determining factor. But, I don't mind stainless either.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Post subject: Re: White #2 and Hd2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

NOVA <> Adam covers it so there is no reason to reiterate as so often is done here, but I will add I use HD, HD2 & a couple white #2 steels.

I get better retention out of my HD's... particularly the 2nd blend. If you can afford the HD, I see no reason to purchase a White #2 over it in the Kono/Kono laser context as these are both made by the same bladesmith.

If you are asking what the difference is IN the actual steel, the HD blend is proprietary so who knows, but we can deduce the HD has more Chromium and/or Molybenium.

Additionally, my Kono shironiko is notably more reactive than my Masamoto shironiko.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]