It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which stones are better choseras or shaptons?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, I see the moritaka 240 is in stock so I will be ordering soon. Before you recommended the Shapton 2 pc starter set, the 1k and 4k glass stones. I've read that the Chosera are the best and since I'm saving alot by buying the moritaka I've become curious. I understand that the Shapton set is liked by beginners but the owner of a local sushi shop I used to work is going to help me to practice sharpening along with your extensive video tutorials, so maybe it'd be better to have the higher quality right off the bat. I also read how alot of users ended up getting a 1k chosera anyway after going with cheaper stones initially.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Which stones are better choseras or shaptons?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

This is always a fun debate.

I've used all of them in both series over the last few years. I'll let the others chime in about which line is better.

I did say that shaptons are ideal for starting to learn since they are quick cutters, splash and go and very flat out of the box so you don't really need to lap them. But I don't want to give you the impression that they are good starter stones because many people swear by them and think they're the one of the better brands on the market.

That said, each stone is different and I have favorites. I love the chosera 5K and 2K stones. I really like the Shapton 1K and 4K and 16K stones as well. But there are others we sell I like at other grits. The thing is "liking" the stone has many variables and some people really like the "feel" of a certain stone and others value slow wearing, or not loading, or splash and go or how it polishes.

What I'm trying to say is this is a seemingly easy and straightforward question and it's a complicated answer. To be perfectly honest I can get good results with a whole bunch of stones that have different qualities.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ahh, this is kind of one of those questions that doesn't really have a definitive answer IMHO.

Both are nice stones....I much prefer the Chocera's though as I like their feel a lot better than the Shapton GS's. I think the GS's are just too hard. Others like this aspect.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 pm 

The best stones between the Shapton GS and Choseras are the ones you like the best after you use them both.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 pm 

The usage of my knife will be alot less than one used by someone in a full service restaurant. I want the knife at our pizza shop for a daily cut thru of 10-15 onions and a few pounds of Roma tomato and bell peppers. On the weekends my friends and I have cooking parties.

At this point I'd like to have a stone to keep a basic japanese-sharp-edge which from what I understand would be around a 1000 grit. Aside from that Should I concern myself so early on with getting a higher grit stone or stroping stuff? If I will only need one stone for my one knife anytime soon i feel like I should get the best I can afford and slowly buy more stones over time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm 

Also, at my rate of usage, how long should I wait before buying something like a DMT plate to flatten?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

But that's just it....no matter the cost of the stone, it's a very personal thing and some don't like the most expensive stones more than less expensive stones.

Don't get me wrong....the Chocera's are great and if you want to start there, I would NEVER argue against that being your first stone. They are great, great stones.

You can flatten with 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:47 am 

For your pizza shop the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k Green Brick would make a good house stone for touch ups. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]