It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Which blade to carve the turkey?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:57 am 

Could I use the Kohetsu Gyuto?

I won't be hacking bones but might occasionally bump into one. If I am cautious I should be able to break down the holiday bird? I also have a faux bone handle carving knife from Henkels but tip is folded and defored badly bent it will need a re-tip/profile work.

Also have an old Forgecraft but it's not the carver it's the chefs knife but it's been sharpened crazy pick like, lots of metal shaved. It's been my practice sharpening knife.

Could the lazer like Kohetsu be used cautious to carve the turkey...Another option might be to use one knife to break down the turkey and then use the kohetsu to slice the breast meats.

Post subject: Re: Which blade to carve the turkey?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 am 
Forum Moderator

UMBERTO <> If your concern is chipping, the Kohetsu is perfectly capable of carving a Turkey. The question ultimately is... are you capable of carving a Turkey w/o chipping your Kohetsu. Yes, it's not the most appropriate knife, but quite capable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Some people will remove the whole turkey breast intact from the ribcage and then slice it from there. The other stuff can be done with a smaller knife.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:29 pm 

I have always found it easier and a bit cleaner to remove the breast and slice it separately. Legs and wings can be taken off just like a chicken through cartilage, or in my case the appendages and meat on the skeleton just fall off. lol

But yeah, if you are nervous about nicking a bone, use a beater to remove the breast and stuff off of the bird and use the nice knives to do the actual slicing. I personally don't see just running against or bumping a bone chipping a blade unless some decent force was applied. More force than what is necessary anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:49 am 

I agree to take the beast off and then slice it. Want to get crazy? When the turkey is ready to serve remove all the skin and Julien in. Re crisp it in the oven on parchment or even better in a fryer. Toss with salt (if needed) pepper, lemon zest.
Slice the breast easily with the skin out of the way. Put the skin on your meat, stuffing or mashed potatos!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:58 am 
Forum Moderator

I like taking the breast meat off and slicing it and prefer a long sujihiki for slicing. For the rest of the dissection, I like to use a garasuki or honesuki, particularly for opening joints and removing the breast meat initially. But if you cook the turkey well, taking joints apart doesn't take much effort at all.

If your Kohetsu touches bone, it's OK. Hacking bone is another matter :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 pm 

your not using an electric knife? Thanksgiving would not be the same without the familiar purr of the electric Hamilton Beach slicer doing its yearly obligation:) simply put the bird on the table, plug in and enjoy, hehehe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:04 pm 

I use a Wusthof Proline 10" fillet knive to get the breast off in 1 piece and slice it with a Masamoto KS. The legs and thighs I take apart with a 6" boning knife.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:34 pm 

kalaeb wrote:your not using an electric knife? Thanksgiving would not be the same without the familiar purr of the electric Hamilton Beach slicer doing its yearly obligation:) simply put the bird on the table, plug in and enjoy, hehehe

Gah! Heresy! Get thee away from the turkey, foul being! lol :P ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kalaeb - that's awesome! A true American invention (maybe?) on an All-American Holiday :-).

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next