It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:03 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Whetstone Starter Kit
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:17 pm 

Okay I'll look at the ones you recommended to me like the 2k green brick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 pm 

What about a flattening stone? I heard that they're necessary for the sharpening process.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 pm 

what about flattening stones? Are they really necessary?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Forget about King Icebear.. that stone sucks.

The Naniwa super stones are indeed very soft, and load kind of fast, but they give you a crazy amount of polish and a pretty good edge.

You will want a flattening plate, it makes life so much better, just trust me. DMT XXC, it'll last you a very long time, especially if you only use it for flattening and not sharpening.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 am 

Beston 500, Bester 1200, Suehiro Rika 5k and you have a great set for $150 and can shitcan the King.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:02 am 

Mr. Knife Fanatic, do you think that the Naniwa Green Brick is a good choice?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:30 pm 

What do you mean by the stone loads fast?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:04 pm 

I am thinking about getting the Naniwa 8k superstone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think flattening stones are essential. The DMT XXC is good. The Atoma 140 is better, but more expensive. The Atoma 140 has less stiction and holds up even better. I wouldn't consider any other diamond plates. Stiction is when the stone sticks to the lapping plate when you lap the stone to keep it flat. The mud from the stone binds the stone to the plate like glue (surface tension). The Atoma design reduces this stiction to a mimimum. This effect is even more pronounced on the finer DMT plates vs the Atomas. Dealing with stiction is a real PITA. I cut stones and have days where I literally flatten over a hundred stones in a day and I'm still on my first Atoma 140 plate. Yea, it's that good.

The 8k superstones are pretty soft. I'd also consider the Nubatama Bamboo 8k and the Naniwa Snow White 8k as two excellent 8k stones.

I like the Nubatama Ume 2k brick - 'olive brick of joy' as a better stone than the green brick, but for the price the green brick is a bargain. Check out the video on CKTG.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nubatamaume2k.html

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

That Ume 2k is oh so very attractive... I have no olive colored stones either..... arghh... :mrgreen:

A stone loading is when metal clogs the stone's surface, and it becomes temporarily stained with metal, or the pores become clogged in other words, reducing actual abrasive-to-knife contact, reducing cutting power. The up-side is that metal swarf on a stone can increase the amount of polish. The down side is that you may want to work the steel longer before letting the swarf work it's magic, so you'll need to rinse and lap at least once while sharpening on that particular stone... in other words, it just slows things down.

Not all stones clog, and just because clogging CAN increase polish, that doesn't always translate into actual edge sharpness. You kind of have to play it by feel to see what works best for your setup.

The 2k green brick is good, especially for the price, but it is rather soft and can gouge. I like the edge it gives.... but I'm not "in love" with it. It's a solid purchase, although there are better.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 2 of 3 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next