It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Where the magic happens
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Here's my current setup for filming the Quick Look knife videos. I've got the camera on a slider system directly over the table. A 5" confidence monitor is on the right so I can see what I'm doing holding the knife, etc. I use a headset mic w/wireless belt pack to audio in directly on the video camera. There another light behind and off to the right which bounces light off the white ceiling for some fill (picture doesn't show this one). I also made a lighter, portable version of my filming table with a piece of stained 3/4" 2' x 2' Birch plywood. I like it better with just bare stain than the previous base - no glare/reflection from the lights. Totally matte finish.

The wooden boxes are called Apple boxes and are used extensively in the film/video industry. They're light, strong, versatile and are available in a number of different thicknesses.

_DSC4944-web.jpg
_DSC4944-web.jpg [ 182.34 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]

Post subject: Re: Where the magic happens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Fancy!

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:15 pm 

Wow. Now I know how all the videos look so good. I hope while you've got all that set up you've got a stack of knives and notes already made up to make set up and tear down worth while. That's a lot of work just setting up. That's pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

It takes a while to setup and align the camera/table/zoom level, etc. I usually do about 19 or 20 videos for Mark at a time, so it's definitely worth doing (for me). I create and print the spec sheets and have those and the knives laid out and handy so I can switch pretty quickly from knife to knife. Tear down is always much quicker :-).

Thanks for the compliment. I try to give everyone a really good look at each knife.

Here's one that I just completed: http://youtu.be/u20J8vO5A8U

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:26 pm 

My wife would love that set up in our living room...I must have one ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:47 pm 

That is a nice setup. Looks like it stows aways pretty easily except for maybe the hiboys. I doesn't have to get overly complicated. Do you have a monitor in front to watch yourself as you go along?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

XO, it takes a while to set up. Mostly lining up the camera and board. If you look closely, I use a 5" battery powered monitor just to the right of the chrome stand. I changed the monitor mount to a clamp and stud on the bigger stand to get it more centered. Someday I'll get a SmallHD AC7 OLED SDI monitor. Those babies are sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:36 pm 

Those monitors sure are sweet. Have you thought about positioning the monitor close to where you are looking into the camera to see yourself? That way you can see yourself from the direction in which you are speaking. Not sure if that makes sense. As if you had a teleprompter in front of the camera.

Are you doing the filming yourself or do you have help? Either way, cool undertaking. Where can I watch some of the videos?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 pm 

good looking set up steve! and thanks again for your time in doing all the great vids for the site!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 am 
Forum Moderator

XO, I would like the monitor centered more, but it would create a shadow. My current setup works pretty well for me. I work solo on these videos. You can see them all over the CKTG site on various product pages. Check my post here in videos on the latest batch. You can then look through them on my YouTube channel.

Cheffiec, thank you sir. I get to learn a lot about these knives doing every batch of videos.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next