It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:01 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What to get to start sharpening.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Mark, a buddy recommended your site and recommended shooting you an email for some advice on where to start. I am wanting to start getting into sharpening my own stuff and have a basic understanding of the process, but still need lots of practice on the free hand stuff.

Currently I have an old Smith's tri-hone set that I probably need to get a flattening stone for. I also have a Lansky setup that my buddy gave me to get started with. I will be sharpening kitchen knives as well as hunting/utility knives. I have done one kitchen knife on the Lansky setup and was pretty surprised at how much better it came out than my attempts and free handing it on the Smith's setup. Any thoughts on equipment and what I should start my focus on? I have watched a few of your videos, but need to watch more. I know a lot of it is practice, just want to make sure I'm not going to waste money on equipment/accessories I don't need. Considering what I have and a $100-$150 budget, what would be your recommendation for what I should be looking at purchasing next?

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathaniel

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What to get to start sharpening.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Nathan,

This set will get you started. It's in your price range and the only other things you may want to consider is a stone holder and a flattener. You can use 120 sandpaper to start but a diamond plate will be a better option eventually if you start sharpening a lot.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What to get to start sharpening.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I would recommend the same set. They are really great stones.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]