It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: What stones/plates for a ZDP-189 knife?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:48 am 

Hi all. I've just placed an order for a Henckels Miyabi 7000MC Chutoh. Sorry Mark, I know I told you that I'll get the Cermax Utility from you but I read that the Miyabi Chutoh is newer (which I assume probably wrongly that it means at least some improvements over the Cermax). I'll make it up by getting something else. Anyway I read that the MC66 is actually ZDP-189 and doesn't sharpen the same way as other steels. That means little to me though since I practically know nothing about sharpening, hence the purchase of the EP Full Monty from CKTG.

So the question is whether the EP Full Monty setup is suitable for/able to sharpen a ZDP-189 blade? That is, is it difficult to sharpen a ZDP knife on Chosera stones alone? If possible will it wear the stones down too fast? MadRookie mentioned in one of the thread that the Atoma 140 and 1200 are great for flattening stones and repairing chips. I'm hoping there won't be too much chipping on the Chutoh but it'll probably happen anyway from my ignorant handling so I thought I should get those 2. I think I've bled enough for a year's worth after this round of purchase so I'm trying not to exceed $200 for this part. Thanks

Post subject: Re: What stones/plates for a ZDP-189 knife?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Yes the fulll monty Edge Pro will handle that knife without a problem. The diamond plates are good too but you can sharpen the knife without them. They will just speed the work of grinding the edge but they're not necessary.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:31 am 

Thanks for the info Mark. Really appreciate that you take time to explain/address my enquiries. I know it's kind of too late to ask this since the items have been shipped but I always seem to come across postings that people strop the knives with some boron carbide/diamond paste etc on the leather. I noticed that the compound is not listed in the EP Full Monty kit. So do I go from the Chosera 10k straight to plain leather? Anyway you can probably tell that I'm a little short on patience so I've placed an order on the 1 micron and 0.5 micron diamond plates as well. Are those considered stropping stones/plates functionally equivalent to leather with compounds?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

You can strop with a wide combinations. Leather by itself works. Leather with the pastes you liste works well too and they cut and polish the steel more quickly. Same with the diamond sprays. Balsa doesn't do much without the help of the spray and or paste so don't use that substrate alone but leather works all by itself.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Atoma plates will really help, especially if you are changing the sharpening angle to a more acute angle than the original angle. For this, the 140 Atoma on the EP is a real Godsend. Afterwards, you can continue with the stones. ZDP-189 has high chromium and carbon content but not much (any) vanadium. With steels with a lot of vanadium, I would recommend the full Atoma set - 140 400 600 and 1200, skipping the 600 if you must. Then you can go on from there with stones or the diamond films or compounds. With compounds, the 4.5 micron CBN is a nice transition past the 1200. For films the heavy duty 3 micron film is a good transition point (PM me about these). For stones, the 3k Chocera is a good transition. If the 3k Chocera is not aggressive enough (steel dependent), a drop of 4.5 micron CBN added to the slurry will speed things up considerably. For use with stones, consider either the 4.5 micron slurry or suspension, but NOT the paste.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:01 am 
Forum Moderator

For ZDP I like the Chosera stones or the new Glass stones (coming soon).

As a finisher I strop on 1.5µ CBN and 0.5µ CBN.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]