It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What stone next?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:25 pm 

What are your knives, what are your cutting boards, and what do you mean by dull?

The only knife that would put up with a week of Catering prep work on poly cutting boards without having trouble slicing bell peppers at the end was Richmond Artifex, Rader's W2, Rodrigue's s35vn, and Damasteel. But that's a crapload of cutting(all the prep work for feeding 2k-6k people three meals a day)!

Also, my edges lasted about a week at the sushi bar, but my standards there were extremely high, even though the knives were getting waaaay less abuse.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:23 am 
Forum Moderator

I don't know Adam... if the steel is VG-10, and you are slicing meat, I'd dare to say the 5k edge is going to last longer. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

I think higher grit edges last longer but that is not necessarily an ideal edge for some tasks. Butchers cutting meat use a toothy edge and they sharpen the knife over and over frequently as the teeth break off, curl over and fall off.

When I hear that the edge on a pro knife is going dull quickly my usual question is how are you touching up your edge? Sometiimes pros will sharpen their knives pretty well but not maintain their edge nearly as well so they end up sharpening too much and touching up (stropping or steeling) poorly or not enough.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2