It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What's better high carbon steel or damascus?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hello there, Right now studying culinary arts at MATC with and he told me that your company is the best for knife purchase.
I just have a couple questions so I can figure out what will be the best knife.
first question is what do you think will be a better material for knife , high steel carbon or Damascus.
Second I want Japanese knife with 9,5” and for fish ,meat , veg. Looking to spend around 300 dollars. So if you could send a email to me with some of the knifes that you think would be a good purchased I will be really happy.
Also I’m living in Madison area and Chef G. told me that maybe I could go see the knifes and stones that you guys have.
Thanks so much

Gabriel

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: What's better high carbon steel or damascus?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gabriel,

I have a standard group of questions that will help us help you. You answered a few of them already and I added them below. Please answer the rest and we'll help.

1. Are you right handed?
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto 240mm)
3. What size knife are you looking for?
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
6. How much did you want to spend? (about $300)
7. Do you know how to sharpen?

Please post your requests for a recommendation as a new topic and either I or other forum members will give you their opinion on which knife to buy.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:11 pm 

Damascus can be "high carbon". That is a very general term. You need think more in terms of properties like "Stainless", "Semi-Stainless" or "Carbon", all of which can be considered "high carbon".

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

1. Are you right handed? (Yes,I'm right handed)
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto 240mm)
3. What size knife are you looking for?(9,5")
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?(carbon,I want something that hold the edge)
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?(like both , but Japanese handle favorite)
6. How much did you want to spend? (about $300)
7. Do you know how to sharpen?(yes,and I'm looking for a water stone 10.000,so if you have available I would like to know the price please.)

Here is my answers, feeling exited to see the recommendations.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

The Konosuke HD 240mm Gyuto has it all. It hits every one of your answers except it's semi stainless instead of stainless. But it does hold an edge very well and is easy to sharpen.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html

I also like the Yuki for you. Excellent knife and fits your needs and budget. This knife is hand made, hammer forged and super cool. The guys on the forum must get sick of me recommending it all the time but I'm really smitten with this knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy24.html

There are many more of course but I think you would be thrilled using either one of these 2.

BTW I would recommend you do another topic in our sharpening section for stone choices.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Off topic, My wife went to culinary school at MATC about 13 years ago. John and Paul were her instructors. Her going to school and buying some knives gave me the idea to start this business. It also added about 3 inches to my waste-line since she's a much better cook now than before she went. hahahaha

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:17 pm 

I can't knock the knives proffered above, but I will make the same warning I often make to culinary school students. I went to culinary school. My peers at the time, even peers now who went to the CIA and JWU, can and will damage any knife in arms reach. If you take a carbon knife to class, you will need to safeguard it like a child. I would be more inclined to buy a few Fujiwara FKM knives for class, easily the best you will find at a culinary school, and pick up nicer knives for work later on.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:36 pm 

For class I'd buy beater knives
Like Lepus for any student buy something that you won't feel bad if it's dropped, abused and beat up. It will happen.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:42 pm 

Yeah, That and using shitty knives through school will give you a better appreciation for the better knives you will buy once you land a job.

that being said, Id also recommend the fujiwara knives. They are pretty excellent and hold a very special place in my heart.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 pm 

Didn't read all the replies, but even if the OP gets an inexpensive knife for school the obvious thing is to keep it sharp. It's surprising how many pro's and students have dull knives.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]