It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What is your technique for a Rika 5K?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm 

Hi Guys,

Assuming the Rika 5K as your finishing stone on AS or White #1 steel, what techniques would you use to get optimal results?

Thanks,

Branwell

Post subject: Re: What is your technique for a Rika 5K?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm going to assume we're looking for a few tricks, and not the obvious "Keep a steady angle and make sure to completely remove the burr and wire edge".

Biggest thing is to use a few very light strokes as the final. I like to strop with a very light touch for my final strokes.

You can see what I mean at the tail end of this video:

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm 

The surface of a wet Rika without mud is about 3K. If you develop a lot of mud, and keep using until it breaks down, the mud itself is about 5K.

If a Rika is your final stone and you're looking for something more like a 5K medium/fine-fine polish than a 3K medium-medium/fine finish, you have to stay on the stone long enough and with enough pressure to break down the mud.

If you're coming off a 1.2K (or something similar), deburr before starting with the Rika. Start sharpening on the Rika, pull a burr and chase it to the flop with one stroke phase, which should be enough to develop a lot of mud and break it down to as fine as it will get. Go ahead and deburr the knife in a cork or a felt block, and then finish polish on the fine mud.

If the stone starts drying out as you use it, splash it with enough clean water to keep it productive. Don't rinse off the mud, even if it's starting to look black. Unless, that is, you start seeing scratches come up off the edge of your knife and on to the face. In that case, rinse everything.

In any case, rinse your knife frequently throughout the entire sharpening process to keep swarf off its faces.

You'll probably find that you get more shine with less work and less probability of pulling a burr if you use a stropping (edge trailing) rather than a honing (edge leading) motion. Honing or stropping, use light pressure when polishing. Also, use "length of edge" strokes rather than sectioning to prevent burring.

No matter what you do, you'll still have to check for a burr (or wire) when you finish polishing. If you get one (happens a lot, no matter how careful you are), you'll have to chase it, deburr, and polish again -- but very gently.

Don't shortcut chasing the burr. As a process it creates the finest, fresh metal edge of which the stone is capable -- every time. Anything else is probably less.

BDL

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:01 pm 

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the tip. That's pretty much what I had been doing and getting strong results. Good to know I'm headed in a good direction.

Hi BDL,

I'd not tried playing in the mud. Sounds like fun. Thanks for the hint.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 am 

Hey BDL

Will you break this down and explain what you mean? I understand the burr part but what do you mean by "and chase it to the flop with one stroke phase"?

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 am 

Chasing the burr is part of a sharpening style I call the "burr method." It's a very common method, one which is widely taught and extensively written about, but doesn't have a real name. It's not the one best way to sharpen, there are a lot of equally good ways to do that.

However, it's probably the best way to learn to sharpen for people who learn intellectually (as opposed to visually, or repetitively, e.g.), because the process is so clear and easy to understand.

Some of the best pieces written about it are Chard Ward's FAQ on e-gullet; Chad Ward's book An Edge In the Kitchen; Steve Bottorf's Sharpening Made Easy web site; and John Juranitch's The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening. As far as I know, Juranitch was the first person to take on the subject in a modern and thorough way.

Looked at according to the burr method there are three (fairly) discrete aspects to sharpening: Profiling; Sharpening; and Polishing. (Let's just skip to the sharpening part of sharpening, since that's where chasing the burr eventually comes in.)

Have you ever torn a credit card apart? You know how you bend it back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, and eventually the fold fatigues and can be torn apart easily?

Sharpening depends on the fatigue phenomenon.

Use a medium-coarse stone to create a burr on one side of the knife, then turn the knife over and sharpen the other side until the burr "flips" over. Now chase the burr by doing more of the same. Every time you force the burr to flip over, you create fatigue at the line immediately below the burr's bend. The more you sharpen the burr, the thinner it becomes.

The process of flipping the burr from one side to the other is called "chasing the burr." When the metal at the crease is so fatigued that the burr can be flipped from one side to the other with a single pass of the knife on the stone (or strop), it is sufficiently weakened for the knife to be deburred. The weaker the burr is, the more easily it will be removed (deburred) completely without leaving little pieces of itself or tearing carbides out of the knife.

There are a couple of other things to think about as you work your way through this part of the process. First, the narrower the burr at the crease point, the closer the bevels on either side of the knife are to meeting at an ideal apex. Second, the finer the scratch pattern left by the stones, the less micro-serration on the bevels.

The sharpener's goal is to create a narrow, fine, fresh-metal edge. And, there you are.

Hope this helps,
BDL

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:11 am 

BDL does a great job explaining this concept. if youd like to read a bit more into it i found this to be very informative and has some pictures to show you examples.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 7-The-burr

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:52 am 
Forum Moderator

That was an awesome explanation BDL!!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:14 pm 

I agree, great explanation of chasing a burr. Thank you, BDL. I think it was Adam who, in a previous thread, stated that newbies move too quickly up the progression of grits, and need to spend more time on a 1k. That finally sunk in my hard head and my knives have a much sharper edge. BDL's post explains why it is so important to stay on the 1k until the blade is ready to move up to the finer grits.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 pm 

BDL I sent you a PM on this topic, I had it started here but I don't want to confuse anyone with my question/comments. Maybe after you have replied I can put it all back here so others can read it.
Peter

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next