It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is your go to knife?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:18 am 

My prep monster is an Addict. I've owned two versions of this beast and it never failed for large prep loads. My station required the mot veggie prep, usually 30+ qts of various fine dice and julienne bells onions etc., and the extra height alway help navigate throughout the mountains of kale and other greens. Both the CPM154 and the HD version took high intensity chopping against poly boards pretty well, having never chipped.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 am 

the question is for a 6 hour period of knife work, which of my knives do I use.
If I can use only one, it would be the Konosuke HD 270 kirisuke gyuto. Good for some meat work and veg.
In reality I would use more than one knife. For salad or a prep table covered with melon, I like the reach of my Hiromoto 300mm AS/stainless clad gyuto, but the forementioned konosuke also works well and weighs less. If buckets of onions came up on the prep list, I would use my Takeda 240 gyuto. My Takeda Bunka (mini kiritsuke gyuto) is great for those large quantities of sliced mushrooms. My most recent knife purchase is a konosuke 210(200 actually) G3 gyuto that I use here and there but is mostly for the serving line, so it dosent play into the original question. If meat is on the prep list, different knives would be used: richmond scimitar, tojiro western deba, moritaka suji, tojiro honesuki.
I like to mix it up, to keep things interesting, so I switch knives as it pleases me and rotate which batch of knives I bring to the restaurant for that six day week. Sometimes, I just bring Moritaka knives, or just Takeda, or just Konosuke. Most times I bring a hodg podge of edged tools/toys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:15 am 

Home cook here...
Go-to knife: Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 240 mm Gyuto.
The Kono HD-2 Nakiri gets a lot of use, too.
The only other knife in my limited repertoire is the Masakage Koishi Blue #2 150 mm Petty and it gets kinda lonely in the drawer... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:21 am 

"My only other knife" excludes my formerly cherished Wüsthofs, which my wife suddenly thinks are great and uses occasionally although she wouldn't touch a knife before. They have their uses, like taking birds apart.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Home cook.

Can do most anything with these 2....(Yoshikane SLD)

:)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:53 am 

I use mostly 240 gyutos my favorites include a Kono Funiyama Wh.#2 and Masamoto KS. Recently I have been having fun with my Kamo R2. The Kamo is one tough knife that can handle almost any product. I have a bunch of other 240s and 210s that I use for smaller stuff. I am a home cook and I like to use a different blade everyday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:19 am 
Forum Moderator

It depends. My Tanaka Sekiso 240mm or Laser AS 240mm are generally my first choices. Sometimes I grab the Artifex 240mm that I reground and converted to a Wa, other times I grab the 270mm (285mm) Kono Ultimatum 270HD, if I am doing a lot of cabbage, I grab a lasered out Addict 2 in 52100.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 am 

Rook, the handle on that petty is killer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:14 am 

Heavy prep days, I'll reach for my yoshihiro 270 gyuto.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:34 am 

Heavy prep days, I'll reach for my yoshihiro 270 gyuto.
I prefer a light knife to prevent fatigue. The added length maintains a forward balance and desired leverage. A longer knife gives me more edge to work along; as the edge dulls on one working section of the blade, I'll just adjust down to a sharper part that has been used less. I can usually make it a whole shift without a touch up.

Page 2 of 5 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next