It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What is your favorite 1K stone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

What is your opinion of the chosera 1k? Or maybe a more precise question is what is your favorite 1k stone. I have a few and have yet to find the stone I'm in love with.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite 1K stone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

This is a seemingly easy and straightforward question but some stones are better for some types of steel and also some users than others.

For me personally I like the ease and convenience of the shapton glass 1k but there are others like the nubatama ume and chosera 1k I like better for other reasons. The ume cuts quickly and I like the toothy edge it imparts and I love the feedback of the chosera 1k which is one of the stones I learned to sharpen with. The best bang for the buck out of all the ones we sell is the arashiyama 1k which is half the price of the chosera and it works really well.

All of these can be found here for those lurking: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/megrst70.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:52 am 

Favorite 1K would depend on what I was trying to do.

I tend to use a King 1K followed by stropping on a Meara JNat to get the finished edge I like, plus I like the feel of the stones.

If there is light damage and I am feeling lazy ( the King is slow ), I might use a Ume 1K or Shapton GS 1K prior to the King / Meara combo. If there is a lot of damage or thinning, I'll use a Bamboo 150 first.

If I am trying to polish the blade, I'll use a Shapton GS.

If I want total sharpening Zen in the 1K slot, I'll use a Nubatama 1.5k ( the white one ) or a King 1.2k because they just feel so damn good.

I really do want to get a Chosera and Arashiyama 1K to try :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:58 am 

I kind of agree with Mark. I have the Ume 1k, a king 1k, and just recently bought the chosera 1k. I like the ume for knives but found it too porous for razors, the king is a average all around performer...cuts slow but it isn't bad, I absolutely love the chosera on razors...good feedback, good scratch pattern, cuts quickly, easy to keep enough water on the surface to help a noob like me make sure i'm maintaining good contact with the stone. Its like most other things we are passionate about...personal preference :)

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:01 am 

shapton glass here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:43 am 

I have tried many 1k stones including all the ones mentioned so far and the Chosera is definitely my favourite followed very closely by the Shapton Glass. There is just something about that extremely slick glide path of the Chosera that compels me to use it every day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:59 pm 

I've been very impressed with the nubatama 1K gold, especially for the price point. For a 1K it cuts quickly and handles every type of steel I can throw at it, from HRC 57 to 65, from soft german steel to Hitachi proprietary super alloy steel.

Josh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nubatama Ume.....followed closely by the Bester 1200

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:34 am 

+1 for the bamboo gold 1k, it has good feedback and cuts really fast. I'm interested to try out the new bamboo blue 1k brick I think its going to be a winner.

I also have a XX hard Ume speckled 1k which is a beast of a 1k, so much so I consider it more of a 600-800 grit stone and is not far off from a 400 chosera. It's a very hard and fast cutting stone but leaves a fairly coarse grind pattern which can be difficult at times to remove. I found it very effective on single bevel knives for removing grind marks from coarse stones.

Arashiyama 1k: A old favorite of mine and a stone that does well to balance out the good and bad features of stones. Decent cutting speed good dish resistance and a classic feel make it a comfortable stone to use. If I could only pick one 1k this would probably be it.

King 1k: I think everyone has at some point used a king 1k and if you haven't then you should. It's a slower cutting waterstone compared to many but not as bad as sometimes its made out to be. Of the few 1k stones I have used it leaves the sharpest edge and the best contrast on traditional single bevels. Last thing I could say about the old King is it has awesome feedback, just feels good when sharpening and with a little built-up slurry can be relaxing.

Not a 1k but close enough is the Chosera 800. I have a fair bit of use with this stone and while I feel it lacks some of the character of the others I mentioned it is a excellent stone that cuts fast and works great for folding knives. By far probably the slowest wearing stone I have used.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:45 am 

Jason B. wrote:Arashiyama 1k: A old favorite of mine and a stone that does well to balance out the good and bad features of stones. Decent cutting speed good dish resistance and a classic feel make it a comfortable stone to use. If I could only pick one 1k this would probably be it.

+1 Love the Arashiyama 1k

Jason --> it was you that talked me into getting the Arashiyama set and after trying many since, they're still my favorites.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next