It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: what does DPS mean?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:07 pm 

I know bevel angles are considered either, per side, or inclusive, but what does DPS stand for? What other terms are used to describe bevel/edge geometry.

Post subject: Re: what does DPS mean?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:14 pm 

degrees per side. It's an acronym

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:16 pm 

Figured on the acronym. Brain kept tripping to Dept of Public Safety, couldn't get past it.

Thanks Lunatic!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

It stands for degrees per side. As it sounds like you already know, an edge bevel that is 15 DPS could also be described as having a 30 degree inclusive angle. An edge that's 18 degrees on one side and 12 degrees on the other could be described as having a 30 degree inclusive angle as well. I pretty much assume if someone says 26 degrees inclusive, they mean 13 DPS, unless they say otherwise.

The other big set of edge characteristics are the asymmetry of the edge bevels. A perfect edge with 15 DPS and exactly the same size bevel that meet to a point in the middle of a blade would be a perfect "V" with 50/50 asymmetry. If you keep the same angle on each side and grind a bevel that's about a 2-to-1 size ratio with the right side bevel being the larger, that's roughly a 70/30 right hand asymmetry on the edge. The point of the now asymmetrical "V" will be moved towards the left side of the blade. You can extrapolate the rest for left hand biased asymmetry or higher ratios, etc.

As I understand it, people create edge bevels with right or left hand biased asymmetry to either create higher performing edges, or help a blade exhibit neutral steering characteristics through taller product, given a particular blade grind geometry.

OK, I need a soda break now...:-).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:41 pm 

Thanks, Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:39 am 

That was an excellent explanation.

Quote: If you keep the same angle on each side and grind a bevel that's about a 2-to-1 size ratio with the right side bevel being the larger, that's roughly a 70/30 right hand asymmetry on the edge. End Quote:

That part I was unsure of. That's the edge I'm trying out on my TKC. That's about what I have it at now. I was calling it a 70/30 anyway. :mrgreen: I was at 50/50 before. I'm trying to see what the knife likes. :D

Thanks Steve.

Dave.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave - Thanks, and that's the way to do it. Experiment w/your edge and find out what works best for you and your knife(s).

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]