It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 8 of 22 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome to Chefknivestogo Forum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 am 

Welcome Jnani, lotsa good sharp people here! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:50 am 

Hey everyone. Looking forward to learning lots from you all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Hi Don:

Welcome - pull up a chair & get comfy.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:03 pm 

Welcome Don, There's enough information around here to make your head explode, look around and have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:22 pm 

Welcome aboard! Never a dull moment around here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 am 

welcome don!

looking forward to see your work here!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:00 pm 

I have just recently joined the forum .
I like knives , kitchen and general knives although I do not particularly like daggers or knives aimed purely for offence.
I sharpen knives principle with an Edge pro and since I have had it I have bought various knives to learn on : since I sharpen for both yachts & restaurants .
Since having the EP I have bought Kai Shun , Carbon Sabatier , Bodum Ceramic, Seki Cut , Chroma , Mac & Global . Then I have folding knives buy Giles in stainless & carbon damascus and a Rockstead. This has made me learn not only the finer uses of the EP but also how to sharpen on fine wet & dry sandpaper on a mouse pad to produce convex edges . Then I have done those on the EP by choosing a 5 degree spread between the secondary bevel and the micro bevel dropping back a degree at a time and then stopping out the graduations.
So in an effort to expand my skills I bought a Nubatama Sharpening Set so for the last four days I have been sharpening about 1 or 2 knives a day to get the knack . I have followed videos primarily by Korin which gave me a method then I have looked at the videos on CKTG and Global they all have something to offer mentions of sound , pressure and where to put fingers etc.
I have been able to produce shaving sharp from scratch although my method is still evolving and I have often to slow down . I have worn down the pads on two fingers to the extent of drawing blood and now it is a question of more practice and further refinement.
My sharpening arsenal consists of a Tormek . Edge Pro (pro) , Spiderco Sharpmaker , small angled Arkansas stones that I use for some of my leatherworking tools , strops leather & denim , the Nubatama stones and I have a Wicked Edge on the way . Most of these systems have their limitations or drawbacks (although Clay 's Wicked Edge is an on going development which will one day do all things ) which is why I have tried to incorporate them all so that I should rarely be presented with something I cannot do . The Nubatama stone are mainly for my own knives and I feel that if I claim to be a knife sharpener then it is a discipline I cannot ignore.
I have found with the aid of videos learning how to use the stones and has been relatively easy but I think this is largely to do with experience I have gained with the Edge Pro I know what to look for and what sharp is .
So I think I have CKTG & Jende Industries to thank for these stones in my limited experience I would say they are quick to use and I feel it wont be long before I have a go at my recently acquired Mac Deba (thanks CKTG for a hugely dicounted Mac big Deba with an extremely minor handle issue which was what pushed me into getting the stones).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:13 pm 

Hi leo, Welcome to the forum! If you can't find the answers here they can't be found anywhere!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:56 pm 

Thanks Jeff B these forums are a great melting pot of ideas & a source of reference & I see certain names from other knife & sharpening forums are here it make the world smaller place!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 am 
Forum Moderator

LEO <> Welcome to our neck of the woods & FYI, I moved your question to the appropriate forum.

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/uneven-sabatier-bevel-t3320.html

Page 8 of 22 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next