It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 17 of 22 [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome to Chefknivestogo Forum
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 pm 

hey pat, I sure enjoyed the year I spent in maine. OOB and biddeford.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:08 pm 

hey bigwooly,

yeah, nice place OOB. i visit there about once a year. some of my favorite places i visit often are Ocean Point, Boothbay Harbor and Camden.

pat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:31 pm 

Hi, this is my first time on-line and am looking to buy a "Chef's Knife" somewhere in the $200 range. I have had a 10" Henckles Chef Knife for about 20 years now. I bought it after graduating from culinary school and have "slogged" on with using it despite the fact that it gets dull very quickly. I bought a Chef''sChoice 1520 electric sharpener from Williams Sonoma, which has done a decent job sharpening it so that it is usable at least. In culinary school, I did use a sharpening stone system; some American brand which used oil--can't remember the brand, but our knives were so bad that they didn't hold an edge at all...
At any rate, the Moritaka 240mm Gyuto Supreme caught my eye because the description made it sound like it is a good solid knife made from steel that is not so hard that it is difficult to sharpen.
I also need suggestions for a sharpening stone and I have heard many people raving on various sites about "leather" strops, so am looking at the $60 Richmond strop kit for maintaining the edge.
Hope I posted this in the correct place; suggestions for knives please! Also, should I look at a 240mm or 270mm knife if I am used to a 10" Chef's knife? thanks, Joyce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:14 pm 

Hey, Joyce. We have an expansive forum section specifically for advice on knife selection. If you'll post your question there we will happily help you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:55 pm 

Hey guys, I've posted quite a bit since joining but wanted to more properly introduce myself. I'm a 33 year old home cook from NYC and have been progressively expanding my skills in the kitchen for the past 15 years or so.
While I've had an obsession with knives as early as I can remember, my cathexis in cutlery developed as an extension of the type of cuisine I have preferred for the past few years which is distinctly Japanese in philosophy (though western in application). As a result, dairy, sauces and emphasis on processing ingredients has waned dramatically and the amount of fresh vegetable and meat prep has increased proportionately. As such, the quality of the knives I use has become increasingly important.
I really only cook for family and friends and my knife skills are mediocre at best. Fairly adept at most major cutting techniques though my speed and fluidity doesn't come close to say, Mr. Knife Fanatic.
My sharpening skills are, as of now, non-existent, though I'm hoping to change that in the near future. My ownership history of knives to date has been restricted to Henckels and the populist "Japanese" knives (i.e. Global and Shun) until very, very recently. My first foray into real steel has been with a Haruyuki/Akifusa SRS15 and a Kikuichi TKC, both of which have been utterly mind-blowing for me. These knives have made prep truly, truly enjoyable.
The drawback: I'm now hopelessly addicted to fine knives and I apologize in advance for over-spamming the forum. Everyone so far from Mark and Sue, to Jeff, Mel, Adam, Tim, Lepus etc. has been amazing and I very much look forward to, at some point, contributing to the great stuff going on here.

Best,

Chip

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:14 pm 

ChipB wrote:...I'm now hopelessly addicted to fine knives...

That just makes you one of us and welcome play house.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:45 pm 

Hi everyone I never properly introduce myself i'm 34 year old armature cook from Pennsylvania , thank you for all the help and suggestions from staff members and Mark , after few days of reading i did made my first buy Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm and i can't wait to get it, well it is my pleasure to read this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:53 am 

Welcome tomciopaluch357! The Takamura is a heck of a first buy! Good job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:05 pm 

Hello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome kid. Tell us a little about yourself if you wish to share...

Page 17 of 22 [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next