It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wedding Gift sugestions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:07 pm 

Looking for some suggestions as a gift. Not so much exact knives but more what kind of knives. Three is the plan and they have a small kitchen so 8" being the biggest. I cant decide between a 7 inch santoku or 210 gyuto as the lead. Any thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Wedding Gift sugestions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:22 pm 

work3fish4,

The classic 3 would be:

Chef (gyuto)
Paring
Bread

I would probably switch out a 150 cm utility (petty) instead of a bread. My gyuto works fine on most bread.

I like a chef over a santoku, but my wife always grabs the santoku - but my chef knife is a 240cm gyuto.

Idahodave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm 

nakiri
paring
utility
slicer

for me tho nakiri and slicer covers nearly all of my needs in the kitchen (i almost never use a parer )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would get a 210 Gyuto, a Santoku (handy, plus women LOVE Santokus for some reason), and a paring knife or bread knife. Don't forget an Idahone Fine ceramic honing rod so they can do at least a little maintenance. I would also get all stainless or semi-stainless models.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:33 pm 

A set of a 210mm gyuto or santuko, a paring or petty knife, and a bread knife will do for 99% of all home kitchen tasks. If they are not likely to sharpen or be mindful owners, I would pick a softer knife line (Fujiwara FKM comes to mind) so that steeling would be more helpful and they would be less likely to chip the gyuto.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:54 pm 

A 210 gyuto will be the most useful over the long haul. You can then help them build a set.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:04 pm 

SteveG wrote:I would get a 210 Gyuto, a Santoku (handy, plus women LOVE Santokus for some reason), and a paring knife or bread knife. Don't forget an Idahone Fine ceramic honing rod so they can do at least a little maintenance. I would also get all stainless or semi-stainless models.

+1

If you think they will both be prepping at the same time I would go for two on the larger side. A 210 gyuto is the go to kitchen knife for most people. And I totally agree with Steve that women love santokus. Those two knives will cover just about any task in the kitchen, but mainly that they will be in use simultaneously. An idahone is a great suggestion too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:23 pm 

Not all people use big knives. Some might even consider 210 big. So I would say a 150 Petty in addition to something larger.

El

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:21 pm 

I don't know why, but my gf uses a 5.5 inch santoku for everything. I dont get it, but if I were to recommend a set, I'd say 210 gyuto, smaller santoku. And then find out what they usually eat and fit the third knife around that. If they hunt or fish, maybe a filet or boning knife, if they make their own bread get a bread knife, or maybe even a good pair of kitchen shears would do the trick for a lot of people. I would just try to fit the gift around their needs, especially since the site has some very specific knives available. For all I know, an eel knife might be a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:17 pm 

jmcnelly85 wrote:I don't know why, but my gf uses a 5.5 inch santoku for everything.

My sister and sister-in-law use the same. Not my wife tho, she doesn't use knives. The only thing she cooks is microwave popcorn.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next