It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: "wavy" blade. no more....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:28 am 

Ok so I got my tojiro itk gyuto about 3 weeks ago and today I finally took it to the stones to thin and put a nice edge on. While doing so I used the marker trick to check my progress of evening the entire bevel to eliminate a microbevel, and noticed there were spots on each side completelu missing the stone. Its "wavy" so to speak. Is there any way I can straiten it out without spending forever grinding away and high spots to make it even again or is this grounds for a return? Or an another note, should I just suck it up and kick myself in the ass for buying a cheap knife?

Jared.

Post subject: Re: "wavy" blade.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 am 

pictures to show what im saying..

Attachments:
20130204_192000.jpg [72.46 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
20130204_192026.jpg [67.23 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 am 

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing and it's not from abuse that knife goes back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:27 am 

I can assure you its not from abuse. I treat my personal knifes like an extension of myself, use the drawer knives at work to "beat on" if need be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 am 
Forum Moderator

It looks like you are pointing out holes in the grind higher up where the cladding meets the blade steel. This is kind of common on knives with this construction in this price range, but it should NOT equate to having holes in the edge when you are sharpening, the edge itself should be fine. How is the profile of the edge itself?

If the edge itself has waves then that's another issue, but what you are pointing out should have no noticeable effect on performance. Please let us know how the edge itself looks when looking down the line of the knife. Sorry for your disappointment, but rest assured that if the edge itself is fine then your knife is fine.. it's more of a price-point to fit-and-finish thing, but should not affect the function.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:06 am 

Looking down the blade there are slight imperfections visible, also looking down the spine it is noticeable. The wave can be felt by pinching the blade by the handle and sliding towards the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 am 

it's called getting a knife with an inconsistent grind. it's not really your fault, but more of a knife maker's fault.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:40 am 
Site Admin

If the area way up the blade where you marked it is a little imperfect that is not a big deal on these cheap carbon steel knives. If these waves extend down to the edge that is a problem that needs to be worked out and sometimes it's difficult to fix. How does the knife cut? If you would like me to look at it send it back and I'll check it out.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:10 am 
Forum Moderator

That is very common with Ku finished blades, the grinds have some dips in them, even with higher priced knives. Like others have said, if the waves go down to the edge, it's a problem. If it's just up in the cladding, it's kinda annoying until it gets flattened out completely, but it will come out with stones. The Latte 400 is a great stone for this type of thing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 am 

The actual blade has a "s" shaped curve to it that can be seen when holding it up to a light. I spent quite some time trying to grind it out before checking with the marker using a norton 220 and a very course diamond plate, not sure what grit. Considering the knife didnt come very sharp ootb and I used it up till now any lack in cutting performance or draw in the blade, i just blamed it on being dull.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next