It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Waterstones. I'm lost
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:20 am 

Hello everyone,

I currently own a wicked edge, sharp maker , and a cheap Home Depot tri hone oil sharpener.

4 weeks I have been trying to decide which waterstones to get to best serve my needs?

My freehand sharpening skills are amateur at best. Never used waterstones, but found myself with a burning desire to learn this art.

I have researched, and watched videos for hours, days, and weeks now, just to find myself more confused on where to start.

I'm looking to spend in the $250 range for everything. Stones, holder, flattener.

Kitchen knives,fixed blades,and folding knives consisting of various steels like VG10, super blue, s30v. I was really leaning toward shapton pro, or glass. With a 140 diamond plate. Which grits, I'm not to sure of.

I'm sure this is asked on a daily basis here, I do appreciate your suggestions and patients.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Waterstones. I'm lost
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:34 am 

If your looking at shaptons, I would gab the 320/1k/5k pro set and the strop set w/ holder and diamond plate.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro3pcset.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html

That should run you $237 and give you just about everything you need to keep your knives sharp as hell.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:42 am 

B.B.C. Thanks, I was looking at shaptons because of the info I gathered was these stones are best suited for these steels. That was my main concern.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:58 am 
Forum Moderator

+1 on B.B.C.'s recommendation. That's a great, versatile set of stones and accessories. It's enough to keep you busy and learning for quite a while.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:04 am 

I was overlooking the strop with universal holder and plate. I already had the shaptons 320,1000,5000
A holder and the 140 plate in my cart. Definitely worth couple extra bucks for the strops.
Good find.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:26 am 

Hope you followed through with the purchase, that's a great start for a sharpening set up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Yup, great setup with S30V in there!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:42 pm 

I just order the shapton pros with holder, strops, 140 grit plate. Great buy, next is some kitchen knives.
Thanks for your help, I feel much better about this now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:56 pm 

Everything came today. :D I need a lot of practice. Sharpened a cheap chefs knife, stones are excellent it's the guy using them that needs practice. I'm having fun. I need to keep my angle straighter, and the tip of the knives are a bit tricky. It's funny, I'm right handed, and when I sharpen on the right side it's worse than the left. It may be because I fractured my right wrist twice, impedes my holding ability. Thank's to everyone, and CKTG. I tried to put Picts, but it's saying there's to many pixels using my I pad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Enjoy your new kit! Practice + patience + attention to detail and feedback = progress. Yes, the curve toward the tip and the tip itself takes some skill and technique that you'll acquire as you learn.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next