It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wanted a Wicked Edge for Xmas, but....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:13 pm 

I think I might end up "settling" for the Edge Pro. I like the idea behind the Wicked Edge better than the Edge Pro. However, the stones that come with the WickedEdge are far too coarse for anything beyond a completely gutted blade surface. The accessory stones are far, far too expensive. Why bother when I can get it all on a different product for much cheaper?

Am I wrong here?

Your help is appreciated. My wife is getting impatient and wants me to make my decision. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wanted a Wicked Edge for Xmas, but....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Amen!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:18 pm 

Yes, you're wrong. I own both and I have to give a slight nod to the Wicked Edge.

First, the grit numbers for the Wicked Edge diamond stones must be converted before you make comparisons. The 1000 grit diamond stones are equivalent to ~2000 JIS and are more than sufficient for kitchen edges. If you want more polish, get the ceramic stones - that will take you past 5000 JIS.

Second, the vast majority of Japanese knives are ground with asymmetrical edges. The Wicked Edge allows you to adjust each side independently to maintain this asymmetry. The Edge Pro requires resetting the angle every time you change sides of the blade.

Lastly, the WIcked Edge doesn't need water and is faster to setup for sharpening. I leave mine setup on a small desk and can be sharpening in a matter of a couple of minutes, compared to at least ten or fifteen for the Edge Pro.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:40 am 

You'll get fanboys of both systems coming out of the woodwork with a question like this. :shock: I leave my Edge Pro set up too, just like Rick does with his WE. I just timed it. From my desk in the living room reading this thread to my EP and sharpening a knife it took me 48 seconds. I use the Shapton GS stones on the EP.

Both are very good systems, you'll make really sharp knives with either one. I felt like the EP would be slightly more versitile for me. I also knew I'd want to get into non-stock stones and it seems that the EP is more affordable to do that with. Good luck choosing! You'll have a lot fun either way I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:55 am 
Forum Moderator

I've used both and I do not have a favorite now. The WEPS had some shortcomings in the first releases (low angles weren't possible for instance), but now it's absolutely perfect. clay has outdone himself and gives amazing customer support too.

I use the EP because I have a ton of stones for it. The WEPS stones are expensive, but last longer since you have 2 of them.

If I had to chose today instead of 2 years ago, I'd have a very hard time deciding.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]