Well, I spent some time yesterday trying out different techniques to make Octagon Wa handles. First few attempts weren't too pretty or even, but I did settle on a method that seems to work for me. I got a grab bag of different woods from WoodCraft, so I picked two and went to town!
It's a bit chunky for the little knife it's on, so I will go back and slim it down a bit. The angles seemed to work out pretty well. I did the bottom narrower than the top with the angles:
The front feels nice in the hand, but the back is way too high, so I will bring it down and thin it out. Still working on the tang slot, too. I did this one with a dowel that I cut a slit down and widened to fit the tang of the knife. Then I drilled the ferrule part way and the rear part part way and epoxied the dowel into place after I did the tang slot. It gives a tight fit to the tang, and I didn't have to grind down the tang. Still gotta get better with the Dremel and Broaches, but the other one I did today came out much better and fits tighter to the tang. This petty has a very thin tang, so even a 3/32" Dremel bit and broach were a bit too fat. The epoxy will fill it if I end up installing it onto a knife. There are some voids I have to fill in the ferrule part.
There is a small gap on the other side, but it's the best one so far! The broaches really worked well and the tang was fatter than 1/8", so I used files to square it off and get it closer.
Also worked on a Lefty D Wa handle for Aaron! Stabilized striped Indonesian Ebony, copper spacer and stabilized Amboyna Burl with the natural craggly end.