It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:24 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke HD2 vs. Konosuke HD Funayuki
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:58 pm 

Trying to decide between these 2 knives which just arrived back in stock...

Thoughts? Differences?

Mark - any chance you can post some stats on these knives so I can figure out exactly what the differences are?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd27gywcuc.html

vs.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdfu27eb.html

Real Money Fantasy Leagues

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD2 vs. Konosuke HD Funayuki
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1521

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 am 

Ya - kind of know that stuff...looking for stats really and reviews from someone who has tried both.

Just not sure and at about $400 - I want to be sure!...it will be my baby.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

270HD2 Ho Funayuki:

277 mm cutting edge
152 mm handle
13.5 mm emoto
52 mm tall
182.5 grams

...I will add: I had two 240 Funas (sold the one I preferred least) & even though you are buying a "270 funa" they can be very different statistically as these are hand made.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:15 pm 

Wow 277mm!?

I was under the impression that Konosukes run a bit short.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> My first impression when I held it was, "This knife is huge. Period."

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=352 shows it in relation to the Suisin 240 Honyaki I had with me that day. In 270, I am used to Suisin Honyaki, and mine comes in @exactly 260mm. This Kono feels like a sword; it's huge, but yet, still very well balanced - only slight blade forward, but that is to be expected from a 270 Wa. I have had one day off since I got her, and have used her no less than 12 hours a day all day every day since to acclimate. The HD2 edge retention IS improved over the first blend. Its a big knife, a really big knife, but if you have the space... you'll get used to it, I reckon. I was for the first time disappointed in Kono's fit/finish as the choil/spine were really not that rounded/polished. Nothing that can't be corrected, but they're sharp enough that they have cut me.

I know you know already... but the only real difference of the Funayuki profile is the tip third is shorter and the edge has less belly. It acts very similarly to a Gyuto, but you have to be more careful with your guide finger at that tip third as it is tapered for finesse. It acts as a slicer would in the context of chopping... not particularly appropriately. I find it requires more concentration - rather, I have to concentrate - if I'm using the tip third. Anywhere else you have plenty of blade face to guide, that third you do not. This does on the other hand allow greater precision with tip work. The way the knife manipulates product at its tip is equivocal to a small petty; it is very nimble and precise up there for a 277mm edge. The funa profile simply allows a slightly more broad range of capability while giving up a bit of specialization in another. It's fun for me... it makes me have to think sometimes after 23 years ITK.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd27wa.html states 270mm on the dot, and it also states the knife is 175 grams which would be consistent with a smaller knife.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 am 

A lot of places I have read that they come shorter than listed (in the 260mm to 270mm range). Interesting that there are so many varieties.

The reason I am looking for the EBONY handle 270mm is to balance out the blade-heaviness even more as the Ebony is heavier.

This is my dream knife and I wish I knew if I prefer the Funayuki profile or not. I am leaning towards it though.

I guess I will make up my mind soon.

Mark - if you are listening - maybe you could check 2 of your knives and list the stats?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:07 am 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> They're made by hand; its not so surprising they vary in size.

I would suggest against the Ebony, especially for the listed reason. The knife is balanced fantastically, and IMO has no need to have unnecessary weight added... it's light weight is one of its attributes.

Buy both on credit, look at them side by side in hand, and return the one you don't want. Mark's quick with the cc credits. We can talk till we're blue in the face, but you'll never know how they feel in your hand until they're in your hand. Then you can choose and return the other one. More so, you'll never know if you like how they cut, until you cut with them. Have you considered buying them both & then trading one? If you really want to find that true dream knife, the one that feels & cuts like a dream in your own unique hand - not just looks like one in a picture or sounds like one from consensus... buy em both. Then you'll really know which you prefer, and then you can trade the other one around trying other knives that could show you something you could never imagine.

We all are unique. We all have our own styles... nuances.. eccentricities. Some of us are big, some of us are small. Some of us like tall knives, some of us HATE :evil: tall knives (had to vent ;) ). If you can't afford it now, buy them both & return the one you don't like. Then you can save up for the other one to really know which you prefer. Then you can always have one knife floating around on trade... searching for the dream. That's why I lobbied with Mark to start the Classified Forum here when we started this whole thing up. I have been a professional Chef for 23 years, and I have used a lot of friggin knives. I have my favorites, but I still recognize there may be a better fit out there. You would never know there was something that fit you better until you used it. Its a very common thing amongst us to be trading knives around looking for that something you never knew existed. Looking at pictures & reading the rhetoric only goes so far.

Good luck with your 270. :) Either way you go, the HD2 steel is just phenomenal, and though I recommend the Gyuto for you first - the Funayuki is an awesome knife, as well. Either way, you'll have an awesome tool. Hopefully, you can find a way to get them both so as to learn which tool is most effective when wielded by you.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:51 am 

Great comments am suggestions.

The only thing that throws a bit of a wrench towards your ideas is that I am in Canada and we are stuck paying duties an extra taxes so trading and shipping back in forth will create too many unnecessary costs.

There is a local store that carries the Konosukes but they never carry 270s in stock because of lack of demand...only have 240s. So I have held some 240s including the ZDPs.

I held a 270 Takeda Gyuto and although the thing was huge, I loved how it felt. I have a couple 240 already - a Moritaka so would like a 270 now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:10 am 
Forum Moderator

...the international dynamic definitely confuses the premise. :|

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]