It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond Damascus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 am 

Mark, can you spare any more info on the Richmond/Yoshi collaboration. Estimated run, time frame perhaps? Maybe some general measurements?

Post subject: Re: Richmond Damascus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

We're actuallly pretty close on our first run of these and we're getting gyutos, pettys and sujis and I think some honesukkis on the first order. These are coming to me without handles and I'm planning on doing a mix of my rosewood octagonals along with some custom ones. The steel on prototype knife I tried reminds me a lot of my addict with CPM154. It sharpens a little easier but has good stainless properties and sharpens up really well. Shaun has been using the prototype now for longer than I did before I sent it to him so perhaps he can talk about it a little.

The damascus is really nice on these knives. These are not lasers but more work horse variety but they're pretty thin down by the edge where it counts.

Look for the in the next 20 days.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, as Mix-Master-Mark has already stated, it is a little closer to a work horse, but still thin behind the edge. Imagine if Shun did a high-performance version of their knives, and used better steel. I can't tell you lot on the specs of the steel used, but I can tell you it has a very fine grain and sharpens up really easy. Edge holding is more than satisfactory as I have only needed to sharpen it once or twice. The thinness behind the edge keeps it cutting good for a long time. It's a good medium weight that's still lighter than a Western, but enough weight to get it through ingredients when chopping.

The problem I find with overly light knives, is there isn't enough weight to "let the knife do the work", so you have to apply extra force. These knives will have enough weight to do a little of the work without wearing out your wrist; Just right IMO. If you need a thinner knife than this than you should probably get a laser. I've experienced no wedging so far, and that includes chopping big onions and potatoes. Not much will stick to the blade either, it has a little convex grind.

Great looking blade, really good performance. Normally I hate flashy knives, but this one has teeth to back up the look.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:13 pm 

Thanks guys. Sounds pretty much like a true Yoshi in terms of geometry. I am looking forward to them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]