It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fujiwara carbon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:33 pm 

Just thought I would give some impressions after spending a week with a 240 Fujiwara carbon. I purchased this knife as an intro into full carbon knives. The stainless gets recommended a lot and the price is such that it won't break the bank.
This is from a home cook perspective so take my comments for what they are fit and finish out of the box was fine. Handle fit nice, no gaps, spine and choil weren't rounded but I wouldn't expect that at this price point. It seemed decently sharp out of the box but the bevels were inconsistent so I put it through Beston 500.bester 1.2 rika 5k. This knife felt great on the stones. I totally understand what people are talking about when they talk about how nice carbon sharpens up. I don't find my stainless difficult to sharpen but this was so easy. After the full session it was push cutting magazine paper no problem.
After sharpening I forced a patina using mustard. The blade took it really well, I find it looks great. I haven't noticed any dis coloring of food nor any smell but I haven't cut huge amounts of product like pro would. Overall this knife cuts exceptionally well for the price point. It glides through onions with no problem, almost as well as my kono hh. No problems with potato, celery, peppers, nice and sharp for mincing herbs, really overall a fantastic knife for the price. I don't find the handle overly comfortable but I pinch grip so I really dont care much. My only complaint would be sticking. Not sure if it is because of the patina on there but it is definitely not a nonstick knife. Can't really comment on edge retention but being a home cook I don't really pay that much attention anyway.
Overall, for someone looking to try a carbon knife at a reasonable price point I would give the fujiwara fkh 2 thumbs way up

Post subject: Re: Fujiwara carbon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:33 pm 

Thanks for the write-up! One remark, if you don't mind: next time, force the patina before sharpening. The etching may dull the edge somewhat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:40 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. Thought of that after I was done with the sharpening. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

A few passes on the Rika and all will be well again w/the world :-).

Thanks for the review. I think the sticking is rather characteristic of this line, the FKM, the Tojiro DP lines - anything that's pretty thin and has no texture to the blade surface seems pretty sticky in my experience. A few knives are so nicely convexed that despite their thinness, food is pushed away fairly effectively, but on these lower priced lines, it's just par for the course - at least IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:17 am 

I worked in a sushi restaurant where the house knives were mostly fujiwara carbons with a couple of other J knife makers thrown in.

From a professional kitchen stand point, they are pretty great. They have an excellent quality of the price. they are weighted pretty well for my hands, at least. It takes a patina like nobodies business, which is particularly great if you are making something as presentation oriented as sushi.

They were abused daily and the steel isnt particularly hard, so the edge retention isnt the best(granted, this is in a pro setting, in a home kitchen it would likely last must longer) However, they sharped back up to shaving levels almost right away. They are actually what i learned to sharpen on. They are very forgiving and the impressive patina will show you mistakes you make in your angle.

my only complaint, which for such a cheaply priced knife is pretty great, is that they aren't particularly tall knives. at least to my tastes, I prefer something that keeps my knuckles a little farther off the board.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]