It is currently Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Teruyasu Fujiwara, Kiyoshi Kato, Masamoto, Takeda
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:21 pm 

Hello all. Recently acquired the following ~240mm gyutos:
Fujiwara Nashiji
Kato
Masamoto KS
Takeda Stainless 250

All but the Kato were purchased here, and I believe Mark will have some 240mm Kato soon. I will attempt to provide my review of each from a home cook's perspective. Not going to get into measurements, grinds, finishes, etc. from a technical perspective (I couldn't anyway!) but try to review the knife as a user, experiencing the look, feel and performance at home. If I can figure out how to put photos up (embed Flickr links?) I will do that. Expect to have this done in the following week.

A preliminary note: the Fujiwara I just received is somewhat different than those reviewed here. There is no exposed machi. Instead it looks like an oversized 210, but with the appropriate Kanji. The knife is excellent in every way, however.

I really will endeavor to get this up...

Post subject: Re: Teruyasu Fujiwara, Kiyoshi Kato, Masamoto, Takeda
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:46 pm 

That is some serious steel you have in your possession. :shock:

For photos, I use photobucket. It's easy to use, I'm sure Flickr would be equally as easy to use as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:16 pm 

Imgur is by far my favorite. It gives access to some simple editing tools if you need them and has an insanely unobtrusive interface.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:26 am 

Wow! That's quite the haul. Looking forward to the layperson's review being a layperson myself :)

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:33 am 

Any update on this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 pm 

I"m curious, too. Did you send any back? Or did you post the reviews elsewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:26 pm 

Sorry, should have put this somewhere on a popup reminder list, or something. In any event, yes I do still have these knives, but my tastes have evolved somewhat. Here are some brief comments on each, and some insight on my current status:

Fujiwara Nashiji — still one of my favorites, I now have the 210 gyuto and the 150 petty.
Kato — my third preferred make, I have the JNS Workhorse, the standard 240, a 225 suji, and a 180 petty. Looking for Kato single bevel next.
Masamoto KS — bought this one for the profile, which I love. The grind and the steel are not overwhelming. A 210 with this profile would be awesome.
Takeda Stainless 250 — you got to love Takeda! Have added a nakiri and a 210 suji to my collection.

I have taken things up a notch with some knives that are not currently carried by CKTG, but could provide some thoughts for future additions:
Heiji — to me this is the best thing going. I have a 240 and 210 carbon gyuto, and and unbelievable thinned 210 santoku. Like the Kato, these knives are solid slabs of carbon steel with wonderful grinds.
Hide — a close second, only because I only have one, a 240 blue #2 gyuto. Interesting finish, great OOB edge, think of a manly Konosuke and you will be close. Will get more of these as they become available.
Kochi — a step above the Goko, but the same basic idea. The stainless kurouchi finish is quite nice.

To be fair, I have not exhausted my interest in Mark's stable! I keep looking at the Fujiwara santoku, the Moritaka deba, Doi single bevel...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:00 pm 

designdog - I was interested in the Hide because the makers were described as the best knife sharpeners that Jon has ever seen (with sharpening including grinding - so the best ground knives that Jon has ever seen). I have a Takayuki Ginsan Damascus and I imagine that the Hide would be similar to the Takayuki. Have you used the Takayuki before? I didn't want to get two knives that were essentially the same. How would you compare the grind on the Heiji to the Hide? Why do you prefer the Heiji? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 pm 

Josh, no experience with the Takayuki, as I am not a fan of Damascus knives. The Heiji is a functional knife, like the Kato. No glam at all. It is a serious piece of steel with serious bevels on each side. Not the pseudo bevels you sometimes see.

The Hide is kind of a cross between a Heiji and a Konosuke. A thick knife but with bevels similar to Heiji, just that the bevel is more gradual, and that part of the knife has a matte, frosted finish. So as it goes down to the edge it is thin, like a Konosuke. But when you hold it, you feel a Kato.

My feeling is that the Takayuki has a "designed-in" grind, that starts high and offer excellent separation, etc. The Hide grind is a sharpener's grind, like the best single bevel knives. Done by hand and a thing of beauty. Also susceptible to being screwed up in user sharpening, namely by me. No synthetics should ever touch this knife...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:25 am 

Dog, would you mind elaborating on the single bevel comparison? I'm not a single bevel expert but have a hard time rationalizing single bevel grinds with more symmetrically ground variants and why one should search for single bevel treatment on Wa styled knives. Indeed, there are many aspects of single bevel knives I would never want to appear on a gyuto.

Page 1 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next