It is currently Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suehiro cerax forum special
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:46 pm 

I am starting to see comments about the 320, 1k, and 6k trickle out in various threads. I figure we should start piling our thoughts in a review thread. If you were already planning to do a comprehensive review in your own format, please feel free to disregard this thread. I just feel like those of us who have thoughts on these need a thread to do so.

I have them, and have only used them three times. The 320 is much faster cutting than the 400 chosera or 400 latte. It dishes faster than the chosera, and doesn't finish quite as refined, but really I see that as a benefit. This is a coarse stone, and I want it moving steel quickly. The scratch pattern is still easily refined by a 1k. It's about as soft as the latte, and to me gives similar feedback. It cuts considerably faster. I think I found my thinning stone.

The 1k so far has been my least favorite of these. I may need more time to figure it out. It does feel smooth to the touch as others have mentioned, but I actually think it leaves a fairly coarse edge for this grit. It also loads worse than any others I've tried at this grit level (arashiyama, bester, Shapton pro). It does cut pretty quickly. The stone just has a strange feel. Even when flattening it has a strange feel. It's just really sticky, and leaves weird chunky residue on the plate. When sharpening it loads up and you can feel the edge riding over it. It is a big heavy stone, I'd put its hardness above the bester, but well softer than the Shapton pro.

The 6k is...I don't know yet. It doesn't leave nearly as polished an edge as my arashiyama 6k, or I believe my king, though it's been a long time since I used that. Leaves a hazy bevel, not any more polished to the eye than my 3k super stone. But I can still feel that the edge is more refined. It cuts phone book paper much smoother and shaves much cleaner. I actually really like the edge it leaves. I think I will enjoy having it as an alternative to my arashiyama. It is harder, (doesn't gouge as easily) and cuts faster. It loads , but you can clean it easily with your fingers. I like this one.

All the stones require 5-10 minutes soaking.

Let's hear some thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Suehiro cerax forum special
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:10 pm 

Nice write up, I've had my eye on that 320 since it first came out, this certainly is good to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:02 am 

Thanks for starting this thread and I'll add to it as I continue to get more experience with my Suehiro Cerax 320, 1K and 6K stones.

First I should say that my impressions come from mainly sharpening wood chisels and hand plane irons with some marking knives and kitchen knives less frequently.

I agree with your assessment of the 320 stone and if I'm trying to remove a lot of metal from a chipped edge it's a go to stone but, my Shapton Pro 320 gives me a much more refined touch and stays flatter a lot longer.

I now have a few 1K stones and the Cerax 1K acts most like my Shapton Glass 1K as far as loading up and sticking. Since I have a lot of new stones I haven't been using my 1200 grit Bester (something I need to do soon) but the Nubatama Ume 1K stone (xxhard) cuts faster and stays flatter than the others tested so far.

I also have several 6K (range) stones and the Cerax performs pretty well but not the top performer that honor goes to my Shapton Pro 5K stone. I also have the King 6K and Kitayama 8K and Shapton Glass 8K stones and the top stone for me is the Shapton 8K Glass stone.

I'll add more impressions as I continue to use them and since I'm chopping a lot of dovetails in White Oak that should be soon.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:40 pm 

That kitayama is supposed to be a great stone and supposedly works even better after another 8k stone. I look forward to hearing more about this stone in case you get bored and have an itch to scratch jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:45 pm 

Thats what I read about the Kitayama 8K stone myself but after trying it vs the Shapton Glass 8K the Shapton gives a more refined finish quicker.

I'll keep repeating the experiment to see if I can get a better data set with this comparison.

jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:55 pm 

For an excellent 8k finish, the Naniwa 8K Snow White deserves a good look. Many think this stone should be in the Chocera line. Very similar quality and feel and can stand on it's own. Not overly expensive compared to other top of the line stones in this grit range.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:13 am 

LucaBrasi wrote:
The 1k so far has been my least favorite of these. I may need more time to figure it out. It does feel smooth to the touch as others have mentioned, but I actually think it leaves a fairly coarse edge for this grit. It also loads worse than any others I've tried at this grit level (arashiyama, bester, Shapton pro). It does cut pretty quickly. The stone just has a strange feel. Even when flattening it has a strange feel. It's just really sticky, and leaves weird chunky residue on the plate. When sharpening it loads up and you can feel the edge riding over it. It is a big heavy stone, I'd put its hardness above the bester, but well softer than the Shapton pro.

I have the Cerax 1K and my results are quite different. It is a very porous stone and absorbs quite a bit of water. If it is not soaked long enough it dries out while sharpening and loads up very fast and the knife skates around like you said. However, when soaked long enough 10 mins or more at least that doesn't happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:54 pm 

I've continued to use this one and find that it loads heavily even while the stone isn't drying out. I agree with the the soak time, and it certainly helps, but I have still found it to load considerably more than the other stones I mentioned at the grit level.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:55 pm 

Once they soak, I have found that all three of these stones hold water for a long time.i don't find myself continually needing to add water.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]