It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anryu hammered 240 mm gyuto first look review
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:23 am 

A certain much-talked-about blue #2 gyuto showed up on my doorstep today, so as usual I'll put up some pictures and preliminary thoughts, and update with further information later.

Bear in mind that I bought this version in part because the handle gives me a convenient excuse to make my own. It is comfortable and a nice shape but the color and slick finish are not my favorite. It seems to be of decent quality though and likely to last as the lacquer appears to be largely impermeable to water.

First impressions: the knife looks great, but is shinier than expected. The kanji are nicely engraved and the hammering is attractive. I thought the finish would be a bit softer and more rustic, but it retains enough texture to look and feel overtly hand-made. The bright area on the jigane behind the polished edge is cloudy looking and actually feels slightly rough, like it was blasted on. It is an elegant touch in person.

The spine was a bit sharp at the corners, especially at the edges of hammer marks, so I hit it with some sandpaper right away just to make it comfortable. The choil was rounded and nicely arced, and feels very comfortable in a pinch grip. I would say this has the second best fit and finish of knives I own, below the Konosuke Fujiyama.

The knife feels lighter than expected. I can't weigh it accurately, and my Goko white #1 has a custom handle intended to add a little more weight, but the Goko feels more substantial in the hand, and the Anryu lighter. That feeling is also transmitted through a pinch grip, from the difference in the thickness of the two blades. The Anryu's spine width is about 3.5 mm coming out of the handle, and 2.5 mm above the heel.

It tapers down to about 2.2 mm half-way down the blade, to 2 mm just before the curve of the tip. At the tip it is down to 1.6 mm at the line where the hammering stops and the blade-road starts, and hits 1 mm half-way down the blade road to the core line. It is very thin behind the edge, and cuts like it.

The balance is blade-forward, just ahead of a pinch grip. The grind is done well, and seems very smooth and even on both sides. I cut some zucchini and summer squash tonight and they largely didn't stick. Due to the the thinness behind the edge, carrots didn't wedge.

My specimen is 242 mm long heel-to-tip and 51.5 mm tall at the heel.

The flatter profile makes it feel shorter than my other knives of similar height, since it lowers my wrist slightly when chopping. It isn't dead flat, but has a long sweet-spot near the heel.

For the sake of completeness, the OOTB edge was there but nothing to get excited about. I put it to the stones right away for a quick touch up which left it much improved, and I'll sharpen it up for real before doing some more prep with it.

Side note: the box (which matters only inasmuch as I keep all my knives in their boxes when their aren't on rotation) is somewhat flimsy, as well as being larger than usual for a 240. It would bother me if I were giving this as a gift because it looks a bit cheap, but otherwise I don't think it matters much to most people.

Post subject: Re: Anryu hammered 240 mm gyuto first look review
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:31 am 

Good pictures and initial thoughts, look forward to hearing more!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:48 am 

Great pics. This will be my first purchase from the site, I think. Am interested in what you think of it after putting it through its paces.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:52 pm 

thanks for the write up. nice pics.

pat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:02 pm 

Great write up and pics. Also looking forward to your follow up thoughts after you have put the knife through it's paces.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:55 am 

estayton wrote:First impressions: the knife looks great, but is shinier than expected. The kanji are nicely engraved and the hammering is attractive. I thought the finish would be a bit softer and more rustic, but it retains enough texture to look and feel overtly hand-made. The bright area on the jigane behind the polished edge is cloudy looking and actually feels slightly rough, like it was blasted on. It is an elegant touch in person.

It certainly is more shiny than I would have expected. I just love the hammering on this knife. Curious to see your new handle whenever you get to it. Are you keeping it octagonal?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:12 pm 

markmunn wrote:It certainly is more shiny than I would have expected. I just love the hammering on this knife. Curious to see your new handle whenever you get to it. Are you keeping it octagonal?

That's the plan. I am going to use this as my main knife and get a feel for whether I want to change the balance point at all, but I think I'll probably make a pretty close copy of the current handle in terms of size. I've got a couple wood choices flying around in my head right now, but I'm going to try to get it done by the end of the month.

As I said in another thread, I've only used it a little more since a full sharpening but the grind and profile are really impressing me so far.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:23 pm 

Appreciate the great pictures and first impressions. I'll look forward to hearing more detailed criticism and praise. A friend of mine wants one of these, and I find myself playing the devil's advocate most of the time...perhaps you will sway me as others have failed to do! (Granted, my arguments are about finding the right all-arounder knife for him relative to the competition, and not about the independent value of the Anryu on its own as a clearly solid performer for many tasks.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:21 pm 

That edge profile displays way more taper and belly than I would have expected and the neck looks very short/thin (more of an ergonomic thing). These are great picks and I look forward to hearing your thoughts performance-wise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:43 pm 

Anryu's B#2 240 is getting a ton of media right now on the forum, I recently bought one as well. For me, the spine wasn't rough enough to need a sanding but I agree with the box comments, I think Mark has those as default boxes, like those brown Richmond ones. Was it a blue box? Perhaps Mark will confirm or deny. I also agree with OOTB sharpness not being stellar. Before I go on further, this is your topic Estayton, so I will wait for your word.

Thanks for the write up!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next