It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Richmond 240 AS Laser - After 1 Year
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 pm 

I thought it was time, one its one year anniversary, to review the Richmond 240 AS Laser:

About me: Home cook, used to good quality German knives

First Impression:

Fantastic! Super thin behind the edge. Just made food prep a breeze. I went with the 240 and was a bit worried about the length being hard to control, but as it's so light and well balanced, I got used to the extra length (had used 8" German) in less than a week. Worked well with all my food prep except for bones and hard squash, which I haven't tried because I still have the German 8" chef for those tasks. From first use, I knew I would love it and use it as my go-to for almost everything.

Food just drops off this knife. It is wide at the choil for a laser, but the grin is great so food comes off all the time, and it is VERY thin behind the edge, where it counts most.

Care:

I am neat in the kitchen and always clean as I go. That said, I notice no difference in trouble caring for the AS over the stainless. After a year the edge of AS below the clad has a great looking patina. If you care for your knives at all, as a home cook, I don't feel the carbon being any issue over stainless.

I use it on everything but hard squash, bones, or frozen foods. I have has no issue with chipping or remotely stressed the blade.

Sharpening:

Firstly, it held its edge for 6 weeks of daily home food prep on wood board with only stropping between uses.

When I did go to sharpen it, (on Shapton Glass 1k and 4k), it was easy to get an even stroke due to its fairly flat profile. It took a few more strokes, but really did not find it hard to get sharp despite its high hardness. I'm no expert, but I feel I could get it as sharp as I'd ever want with the Shaptons and strops I currently own.

Handle:

Nice looking handle, but a bit smaller than I cared for. I had it re-handled in January with a classic 'D' shaped handle and love it even more than ever. If you like different handles than stock, I'm sure Mark could have a custom one installed. It was very reasonable.

Value:

Great steel, great specs, very good price. I give A+ with my only complaint being that I bought the first batch with 'Richmond' on the blade rather than the 'boss' kanji. I am confident that some of the more expensive blades are equal to or better than the Richmond 240 AS Laser , but at my price point the value is there as the knife exceeds my expectations - even after seeing MR. Knife Fanatic's video the day I pulled the trigger on the purchase.

Overall Rating and Recommendation:

5 Star from my very unprofessional opinion.

If you think you'd like using this knife, you will. If your budget's bigger than you have lot's more choices, but near $200 this combines great steel great grind and very good craftsmanship.

Idahodave

Post subject: Re: Richmond 240 AS Laser - After 1 Year
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:42 pm 

Nice review! Thanks for the write up.

Have you tried any other Japanese knives besides this one?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:52 pm 

Just one. We have a Shun Santoku that we've also owned for a year.

That's my wife's go-to knife.

Idahodave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:29 pm 

Nice review Dave, thanks for taking the time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:29 am 

Thanks for the "user" review Dave. Always good to hear what people think after the "my new knife just show up and it's all shiny" phase. It's one of my first and favorites too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 pm 

I was wondering how the Richmond knives held up, this was a good review.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:19 am 

These reviews mean the most and are the most helpful, in my opinion. Thanks for the thorough write-up!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:06 am 

Great review! Thanks Dave!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 am 

I love when people do write ups of knives after having them for more than a few weeks. There is nothing that is an unimportant to me as how sharp a knife is out of the box or how great the packaging is. Also, thanks for mentioning that you've put the blade through its paces a bit with rougher ingredients. Its nice knowing a bit more about the toughness than just what the rockwell hardness will tell you.

Excellent review.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:27 am 

Great write up being 1 year later, terrific idea.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next