It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nubatama Ume 2K first look
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:07 am 

I received this stone as a gift for Fathers Day along with a Shapton Glass 500. In addition to the newly acquired 2K, I own a Nubatama Ume speckled 1K and a bamboo 150, both quite loved. I also use a a Green Brick 2K which will serve as a comparison for this review.

The 2K initially caught my attention because of my favorable experience with the Ume 1K. I didn't need it, but it was on a list of a few stones I was interested in, and was picked by my daughter because it was purple. Cool!

The 2K arrived flat, and didn't need much dressing other than chamfering the edges. I tried it first on my Richmond Artifex in AEBL after a 500 and 1k. It felt a bit grittier compared to the Green Brick and left a refined and even hazy edge unlike the Bricks high polish. I usually finish with the 2K and move to the strop for knives I use at work, and have become accustomed to the nice toothy edge I get from this progression. I seemed to get a more refined and smooth edge on the Ume 2K by comparison. It didn't feel as sharp as my Green Brick.

Next I tried it on my wife's Kajihara funayuki in blue #2. The feedback was different from the Artifex, being more smooth and felt like it was skating. However, the resulting edge was incredibly biting, and a bit more polished. This was a nice edge.

The next day I tried it on a few different knives while I was sharpening at the growers market. I seemed to get similar results for stainless and carbon knives as my initial try. So far I really like this stone for the results I get on carbon steel, but get better results for stainless on the Green Brick. Also, I found the Shapton 500 followed by the Ume 2K to be a nice progression, which nice to not always have to visit my 1K in the progression.

To some it up, Nubatama Ume 2K is a nice hard stone compared to the Green Brick, and seems to perform quite well for carbon steel knives.

Post subject: Re: Nubatama Ume 2K first look
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:36 am 

So is this the speckled 2K Ume?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:30 am 

My apologies for not clarifying. Yes, this the speckled Ume 2K.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nusp2k.html#.U6ZrV9q9KSM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:05 pm 

gingerninja,

thanks for the review. i especially like the fact it seems better on carbon knives, with resultant excellent toothy edge.

pat

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]