It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gihei HAP 40 Nakiri 165 mm without handle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:59 pm 

Hello!

I've just purchased this and wanted to let you in on my thoughts. I'll post some images below for you too look at. This is a custom made handle that i've made myself. The handle is made out of Ebenholtz at the bolster, volcanic fiber(the white line), stabilized box elder burl and beech that's been cut against the fiber.
About the steel:

I just sharpened up the blade and all i can say is WOW. This steel is truly a gift from the gods and i can see why they call it "voodo steel" because it certainly have something magic about it. I started on a 500 grit shapton glass and already after removing the burr i could shave armhairs with it. I continued up to 1000 and then 3000 grit on a whetstone, then over to a Shapton glass 8000, the strop on balsa wood loaded with .5micron(30k grit) CBN emulsion then finished on a leather strop with .1micron(120k grit) CBN spray. After this i put it to my face and could easily dry shave 4 days worth of beard. This steel outperforms anything i've ever come across.

I've yet to use it but i'll return again when i've tried it out some on the cutting board. Now for the pics.

https://imageshack.com/i/idm5wK6uj
https://imageshack.com/i/eyC1YQcBj
https://imageshack.com/i/iqFVqskkj
https://imageshack.com/i/f0obdtc2j
https://imageshack.com/i/ipsZcsXij

Let me know what you guys think :)

Post subject: Re: Gihei HAP 40 Nakiri 165 mm without handle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome! I'm so glad you like the knife. Cool handle too!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 pm 

Very nice, love that handle! Looking forward to hearing more!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:24 am 

Whow! What inspired that handle, I've never seen anything like that. Very cool.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:01 pm 

I got my inspiration from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2keT46 ... BRvcNTVEef

I was originally planning on making the white line in a wave pattern, like an "s" but that proved to hard with the bandsaw and the blade i was using, so i had to make a simpler curve instead. The shape i got from Takeda's ironwood series and by feeling for myself what fitted best for my hand.

Hope that answers your question.

So far i've been using it for one day and it is just superb:)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:37 pm 

The sweet handle aside, can you comment on performance such as wedging in thicker veg, food release/sticking, etc? I am very interested in this knife.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm 

Well, Rick.

I've only tried it for one day and i only had oppurtunity to cut into some fish and a few carrots yet. It seems to be a little bit on the sticky side since it has a very thin blade there's not room for much convexing. But i could cut carrots and most of them were laying on the cutting board after I've cut them, didn't move at all. But i had to use a little bit more force then what would be ideal, it wasn't gliding through them so to speak.

I'll get back with a full review in a few weeks when i had the chance to try it out some more. But honestly so far I can say that it is a great steel that takes a sharper edge then i've ever come across before and I don't think you'll get disappointed if you get it. I've tried VG10 Aogami#2, Aogami super and White#1 and some other stainless steels, german french and swedish. I have yet to see what the edge retention is like, but so far after one day i can say i'm liking it:)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:26 pm 

Also, because of the process of making this handle I glued two handles, but I only had time to make one of them complete. Next I'm replacing the handle of my Tanaka 240mm VG10 damascus. I'll get back with pictures ofc:) I'm thinking of going more of a traditional japanese style of handle, octagon or similar. Haven't decided yet...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:16 pm 

Cool video. I don't have a band saw...but maybe I need one :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:12 pm 

very nice job

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next