It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Konosuke HH 270 Sujihiki
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 pm 

Good morning all,

My second knife to review was purchased to handle the large amount of Sashimi and Sushi I prepare. Again, I have to warn the readers I am not shy about creating long winded reviews combined with stories so get out now if that is a problem. I have been using a 10 inch Henckles 4 star slicing knife so entering into the world of J-knives for this application was one I really looked forward to with extremely high expectations. As I have noted in other posts my filets are some of the finest quality in the world due to the handling and RSW (Refrigerated salt water) systems we employ when holding the fish after catching. Most of these filets came from fish in excess of 200 pounds with the majority of the filets coming from the smaller shoulder sections of the fish and center cut loins. In addition, I do use some of the fattier sections of the fish but those areas are for those who really are into such things like Toro or other more oily sections associated with the bellies and areas closer to the skin. I have found over the years, the majority of folks, after I tell them it is okay to openly state they do not like the taste of so much fat content, really do love the deep colored, rich and less "Fishy" flavors and buttery texture associated with areas of the fish less marbled or oily. These are my more westernized friends and while I still do provide more oily/fatty sections to those of my friends who travel the world looking for these greatest culinary experiences, I find the majority or regular folks are just not as into the fatty sections as they may claim. As I always state, you have the right to like what you like when it comes to Scotch, wine, art, women, etc. and of course fish, regardless of what so called experts tell you is the best.

Okay, so onto the review. As with all three of the J-knives I order the Suji came in a relatively simple box. To be honest, upon opening I was just slightly saddened this blade did not have the shiny blade bells and whistles of the Masakage Shimo Gyuto I had previously opened. I did have to remind myself this knife was to be a thin workhorse, made from Stainless Steel requiring very little maintenance, rather than a show stopper of a display knife. I average cutting hundreds of pounds of Filets for Sashimi and Sushi a year so this knife would see a fair amount of action.

Fit and finish of the knife was good but not great. The wood handle did not blend perfectly into the ferule but good enough. There was a small gap on one side where the Machi meets the collar but very, very small and certainly acceptable. However the blade itself was nicely rounded on all the edges while the sweep into the heel was clean and ample. The blade is beautifully light in the hands which would allow me to cut as many hours as is required with little or no fatigue. That said, I would not say I felt overwhelmed by the feel of a perfectly balanced tool, though certainly it balanced very well, but then again I do not have the experience to know exactly what a perfect feel is with a Suji. As I always note "Feel" is a very subjective term and cannot usually be put into words.

The size of the knife is as follows measured in a straight line rather than along the blade edge:

Total length:16.44 inches
Length of blade from top of collar to tip: 10.75
Length of blade from heel to tip: 10.25
Thickness of spine at the heel: .093 (2.36 MM)
Thickness of spine 1 inch from the tip (Approx.): .063 (1.6 mm)
Height of heel: 1.47
Balance point: 1.5 inches from the top of the collar

As I always do my first test was slicing of the paper the box came wrapped in. Slicing was very good except for a few small spots which just needed some minor touch up on the horse butt strop. Prior to using my new Apex 4 I would have said the sharpness was exceptional but now I realize what can be achieved with my new found, after market, sharpening skills. (Thank you CKtG). I did take this knife from 500 through my 8K Shapton Stone and horse butt strop (50/50 bevel) and re tested. Please remember my only reference to this point was a decently sharp Henkles slicing knife so the term WOW is perhaps the best adjective I can use for the utility and sharpness of this now really sharp HH Suji. I have a feeling WOW is going to be a standard term used in defining my knives after they have been put to the stones. Prior to this I would, on rare occasions, send my knives out for professional sharpening. I did find out many of these shops use an electric machine rather than a series of stones and finishing products. In fact, in looking back. all of the name brand shops I took them to do use electrics. Hey, if you do not know you do not know. Now I know.

Because I travel a lot for these Ono and Ahi parties I did purchase the Saya as well and I am very glad I did as it fits perfectly and properly protects the blade from common mistakes made when trying to take too many items from the car to the kitchen. I also found the tip was susceptible to slight distortion with little impact.

After taking several loads of product to the home along with my new end cut Maple and Black Walnut cutting boards I was ready to get started. This kitchen has a very large work space so I was able to layout my tools properly. I set up my cutting board, Horse Butt strop station, new ceramic honing rod (Just not necessary), my towels and numerous serving platters. Others brought real Wasabi root (Based on the price per ounce of this stuff I firmly believe these roots are farmed by one armed pigmies, sired and bred for the job. Heck, I think it might be cheaper to purchase cocaine). They also brought other items such as ginger, roe and a whole host of other goodies for making a variety of mixtures and appetizers to go with Sashimi and Sushi.

I prepared the filets for cutting which involves lightly rinsing down, patting down and making the first cuts to create rectangular cross sections allowing for proper grain directions. As weird as this sounds my first cut, which created a proper thickness within the first slab was breathtaking. I must be getting old as that term was usually reserved for new girl friends, spectacular vistas and very large fish but it was what it was.

The "Glide Factor" of the blade was spectacular. There was absolutely no pull associated with the slice even though I did not lightly wet the blade prior to slicing. I really wanted to see how it would operate dry and I can say the blade worked in spades. As noted these first few cuts were only to bring the filets to proper thickness so the cuts were sideways rather than into the board. Later I would lightly wet the blade, using a damp cloth, both for ease of cut and to keep fish material from building up on the blade.

Now it was time to start slicing. I would be lying if I did not state I was concerned about how much control I would need in order to keep the blade from going into the board. As I trimmed the sides (Trimmings were to be used for a variety of items) of the now cut to proper thickness slabs I did, in fact on occasion, find myself cutting into the board until I developed a better sense for the knife. It stayed amazing consistent as far as gliding through the meat so any issues with over cutting were mine. The issue went away after a few minutes of getting used to the blade. However, the blade seemed to hold up beautifully, not requiring any additional stropping until well into the cutting process. I found I was able to cut perfect or almost perfect sections of Sashimi at a speed I was not able to achieve previously with my German Steel. Again, no pulling or distorting of the meat regardless of the angle of my cuts which I tend to vary. I also found my need to re-align was reduced to only a few strops after about 3 - 4 pounds of cuts. In truth, I am not really sure the stropping on a bare horse butt strop was required at all rather it was more my need to see if I could maintain the amazing consistency of slicing and control this knife was providing me. I suppose I was having a hard time believing this knife could stay as sharp as it was.

So now, after cutting about 20 pounds of Sashimi and and a similar quantity of chopped and strip pieces for Sushi/spicy rolls, I came to the conclusion the Kono HH Sujihiki is indeed the workhorse Suji I requested. Build up of fish material on the blade was very, very good even when I chose not to wipe as often as I should. (For testing purposes of course) She may not win any beauty contests but at the end of the day she cleaned up nicely and was more than ready and willing to go to work again without having to go to the beauty parlor, nail salon or spa. This may not be the gal I take to the ball but she is perfect for taking out to my usual hangouts and show to my friends at my local bar or kitchen. She is the girl who will scratch your back, prepare your shower, layout your clothes and never ask for anything in return AND do everything extremely well. (I must be crazy to want the show stopper who needs more attention)

In conclusion, because I can afford it and not because I need it(Assuming I do not purchase too many of these J-knives), I will undoubtedly purchase a more showy and in your face sort of Suji or possibly a Yanagiba for the occasions where I am just showing off. Would I recommend the 270 Konosuke HH Sujihike to those looking for a fantastic slicing knife, at a great "On Sale" price, to do the chores around the house or in a professional environment using a blade which does not need much attention... In a heart beat... Yes, I believe this Suji knife should get more attention than it seems to by those who believe Carbon steel is the only way. Thank you for the recommendation Mark.

Jamie

Last edited by fishordie on Mon May 19, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HH 270 Sujihiki
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 pm 

Excellent review.

I recently bought a 300mm HH but truth is I do not work with enough volume of fish prep to really justify the purchase. It is great to hear from someone with occasion to really put it through its paces.

I too was lukewarm to the conservative Kono aesthetic but I have three knives now from them and they are all purebred performers.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:29 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:Excellent review.

I recently bought a 300mm HH but truth is I do not work with enough volume of fish prep to really justify the purchase. It is great to hear from someone with occasion to really put it through its paces.

I too was lukewarm to the conservative Kono aesthetic but I have three knives now from them and they are all purebred performers.

Yo CH,

I can see how easy it would be to buy more knives than fingers..... and perhaps toes as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:19 am 

Great review. You're proving a deft pen at reviews of top notch knives.

I too have the 300mm (with the blond ferrule) and, funny enough, what you think of as plain I think of as ornate! I consider knives for work in a pro setting, though, so as much a wa handle presents a point of possible damage to me. I agree fully that the HH line is top notch performance for the price, maybe even a workhorse in the sujihiki. I have used it for a few carving stations and it abides like a champion.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 am 

I enjoyed reading your review. Now you need more knives so we can read more of your reviews.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:14 pm 

whosthebestcop wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. Now you need more knives so we can read more of your reviews.

I'm working on it... LOL

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:59 am 

Good review and nice write up Fish. I also have the Kono 270 HH Suji as well as the Kono 240 HH Gyuto. The fit and finish on mine are great, like you mentioned all things eased and rounded, my handle install is great and most importantly the knife is a great performer, I have some flashy Damascus knives and KU finished knives, but there's something about the Kono HH/HD lines simplicity that I find the bueaty in it's performance and functionality. All Konosuke knives I have seen are top notch, with great grinds, performance and fit and finish, regardless of which line from them you choose.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:06 am 

Lepus wrote:Great review. You're proving a deft pen at reviews of top notch knives.

I too have the 300mm (with the blond ferrule) and, funny enough, what you think of as plain I think of as ornate! I consider knives for work in a pro setting, though, so as much a wa handle presents a point of possible damage to me. I agree fully that the HH line is top notch performance for the price, maybe even a workhorse in the sujihiki. I have used it for a few carving stations and it abides like a champion.

Thank you for the kind words. I do enjoy writing. I too would love to hear more from folks who really use and resharpen these tools to get their input for future refining.

Jamie

Last edited by fishordie on Thu May 22, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:13 am 

Thank you Hutch. I am hearing from more folks they really enjoy a less ornate knife which gives an elegant simplicity to the tool.
I on the other hand have to admit, and you can probably tell, like bells and whistles to go with an exceptionally functional tool. though I cut a lot of product throughout the year this is not my job so I derive great pleasure from simply pulling the blade from it's Saya, marveling at its construction and beauty and and in some way have my level of rejoicing be influenced by the way my knife slices, dices, chops and functions. My goal is to be in awe of Smith who forges my ultimate blade. In the meantime, I plan on paving my path to this nirvanic discovery with a whole bunch of trials with no errors.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:45 pm 

Nice review. Thank you! Very informative and well written as well.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next