It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Knives - Takeda, Masakage, Takamura
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 pm 

First of all I would like to thank everybody who helped me with my choice and Mark with Susan for great service!

I ordered knives on April 30th and the parcel was at the post office on the 6th of May – Dubai that is. I actually thought it would take up to 2 weeks.

I've just came back from my business trip and picked up my knives today.

These are for my mother:

Masakage Yuki – Petty and Gyuto 210

Masakage Kiri Santoku

These are for myself:

Takamura Migaki R2 Santoku

Takeda Classic Sasanoha.

Bellow I will post some pictures, hopefully a link to my video with short OOTB sharpness test and my first impressions.

Disclaimer – I am not a professional chief, I do not have wast experience in cooking and knives, my experience with Japanese knives is limited to few months of Global knives usage. All my thoughts which you'll find bellow are based on first impression and are subject to change with further usage.

1. Packaging was great. I actually cut myself while opening Global knives – they use these horrible plastic zip ties which I had to cut with my pocket knife and it was so hart to cut that my hand slipped and the knife which I was trying to un-box cut through the carton right into my finger – they do come sharp as well. These knives have very nice boxes with no struggle to get them out of it.
2. Finish. I was worried that hand made knives would have issues with quality control – this is absolutely not the case. The fit and finish on each knife is great. There is nothing more to say. I could find something that was not perfect, but this would defeat the very point on having a handmade item, which is perfect in its imperfection.
3. OOTB sharpness. All the knives came very sharp. I've got no idea how Mark manages to grade these knives' sharpness – for me they are equally sharp. However there are some small issue you may want to pay attention to.

Takamura – was the easiest to slice with – it has thin profile and almost no friction on the blade.

Kiri was second

And Yuki with Taketa had the most friction due to their finish on the blade. However these are probably better with keeping product from adhering to the knives.

I also cut some carrot with Takeda and the cut surface was smooth as glass.

4. Size. As you may see from the photos – Yuki Gyuto and Takeda Sasanoha – are approximately of the same size and shape. I struggle to distinct a difference between Gyuto and Sasanoha – to me they are the same. I think that for me 210 – is probably as large as I would ever need. Though I have not tried 240 yet.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

You can also contribute to my stone selection thread:

post59894.html#p59894

Video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXUZVvNQ ... e=youtu.be

Post subject: Re: New Knives - Takeda, Masakage, Takamura
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:31 am 

Thanks for the post and great pictures. I'm very curious: do you find the Takeda to be more flexible than the Masakage gyuto? I've heard the Takedas have a little less spine and I know they are very thin and light. I'm wondering how this feels to you compared to the other recent purchases...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 am 

Hi, Salemj

Takeda is quite thinner and more flexible. Takeda is also a bit lighter - but i would say that the weight difference is neglectable.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:45 pm 

Very nice purchases Mikhal, nice knives. I really like the Takeda sasanoha profile.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 pm 

I love the look of that finish on the Yukis. Really great to see a nice close-up of it. I've already said enough great things about the Takamura santoku, so I'll just say good choice and I know you'll enjoy it!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Boss Lady - more Yuki photos: masakage-yuki-210-gyuoto-larger-pics-t2122.html

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:43 pm 

SteveG wrote:Boss Lady - more Yuki photos: masakage-yuki-210-gyuoto-larger-pics-t2122.html

Thank you, those are some great pictures. Personally I love the look of the light wood with the red ferrule. You folks take your jobs of enablers very seriously. ;) It also says a ton about this knife when Steve chooses to add it to his personal collection!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

That was actually my 2nd knife purchase (I think) from CKTG, when I did a lot of research, but had much less product knowledge than I do now. Time has proven that I made a wise choice - it's a great knife. I shipped my baby and a re-handled Goko White #1 240 down to Melampus for a test drive and he REALLY liked the Yuki. Heck he liked them both :-).

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:03 pm 

Thanks everyone!

I know that my pics are not that great - i do not have the right set of skills or equipment, someome asked to see how Sasanoha compares to Gyuto - so i posted some pics.

I've been using Takamura - it really is a great slicer!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]