It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 120mm yamashin ko bocho
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:17 pm 

Hi, I thought I'd leave a really basic review just because I didn't see a formal topic for the knife before I bought it. I bought it pretty suddenly without any huge investigation into the details you guys usually go into. It was just going to be my jump into the pricier, japanese knives. My first knife, an 8" henkels from a local restaurant supplier, is not so bad really after I learned how to sharpen with it. But, I was looking forward to getting a new knife of some kind.

Steel/Blade. I don't know anything about steel types, so that didn't influence my decision and it's not something i can really touch on in this review. I haven't seen how well it sharpens up yet. I think I might try and get my own set of stones instead of my work's, or at least just do a little researching about it before sharpening. I'm a fan of its unique style and appearance, and I think patinas are pretty cool. A concern I had when I bought it was the blade height. Compared to most other petty/pairing knives, the yamashin has a good 10mm more. I can see a shorter blade working better when peeling, but I don't have those concerns anymore now that i've seen it.

Uses. I've used it wonderfully on bell peppers, but I could see coming across a bell pepper too big for this guy to handle. It would handle shallots, garlic, chili peppers, g. onions, chives, lemons/limes and other stuff of that size.

Chop-Style. It slices as I would imagine a Gyuto does. A push forward instead of a rocking works best. It slices right through and the veg or fruit didn't stick. Although it did seem to stick to my fingers a little, especially when trying to do a nakiri/cleaver chop-style.

Wa-handle. I wasn't sure how I'd handle the wa handle, but it's lovely. It's an unpolished wood handle, it's smooth, super light, and fits really well in my small hand. I will probably look into coating it myself. If anyone's done that on these forums I'd like to know what you did...

If you've got any other questions, or want to see some videos or pictures, I would be happy to do it.

Post subject: Re: 120mm yamashin ko bocho
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:43 pm 

Thanks for the review guud, glad to hear you are enjoying it. An interesting little knife shape.

You can use mineral oil or board butter/spoon butter regularly for a temporary fix. The latter two are just 50/50 blends of mineral oil and beeswax If you want a more lasting finish you could go for something that dries on. I was recommended tung oil or danish oil for handle finishing when making a handle from scratch, and I assume you could use the same stuff. I only just finished my first build so I can't tell you anything about durability yet.

If you had time to add a picture, it would be cool to see a shot of the grind / choil. Edge facing up, handle toward the camera, focused on the cross-section of the blade so we can see how thin it is and how it is shaped toward the edge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:07 am 

guud --> very nice first post and welcome to our little fun house!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:15 am 

Thanks fellas.

estayton, I just ordered a CF card reader for my camera, so I can have some pictures up in the next week and a half I think. I should be able to post up some good shots. :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]