It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: assorted sharpening
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:39 pm 

After easter, I was telling my boss of the sharpening things I ordered and he asked if I could sharpen a few of his knives before mothers day. The kit arrived today and I just finished sharpening everything and I couldn't be more pleased. I ordered a 400/1000 combo diamond plate, green brick, snow white, horse butt and leather strop with 1 micron diamond paste.

400/1000: only used the 400 side for a butterknife dull slicer, removes steel very quick and leaves scratches clearly visible to the naked eye. Plan on using as a flattening stone later, but the stones seemed flat enough. 1000 used as a starting point for every other knife, didnt seem to cut all that fast but raised a burr and the scratches didnt seem too noticeable to the naked eye, for its price id say its sufficient, but will probably get upgraded someday.

Green brick: used as a finishing stone for all knives but mine. Works surprisingly fast, feels very smooth, and I absolutely love the slightly polished yet just toothy enough edge it left. Great stone. Amazing value, can see instantly why people love it. It didnt dish on me and still looks flat after five knives. Wasnt too fond of the muddy metal smell of sharpening with it but thats my only complaint about it.

Snow white+strops: used it as a finishing stone for my knife because I didnt want to go past "that point" with other peoples knives. Left a mirror finish surprisingly quick, still felt like it had some teeth and ill know more about how it functions later. Shaves hair easily and I really liked the splash n go. I used the horse butt strops between stones for burr removal and feel it worked fine. After I was done with the 8k I did two strops on each side with the loaded leather followed by two on bare horse butt and feel the edge jumped a lightyear beyond what I thought possible for a knife. I'm looking forward to putting it to food later.

Overall: I chose these items with help from very insightful people on the forum, shipped incredibly fast, and I am left looking forward to using the site more in the future. I couldn't ask for a better day off.

Post subject: Re: assorted sharpening
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nicely chosen sharpening kit. I'm glad it's working out for you. Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:58 am 

Glad you are happy with your purchase! I'm sure it won't be your last...;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:16 am 

I've never used the brick- it left a refined enough finish to go straight to the Snow White?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:01 am 

I don't have a jewers loupe so I cant give an exact finding on how much, but I spent the most time on the green brick once it started to dry a little and left it pretty polished. Then I jumped to the white and it was a mirror in about ten strokes... super easy in my eyes but im not a pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:39 am 

I should probably clarify that by "most time" it was still less than half the time I spent on the 1k plate, not to mention there was stropping between stones. (Not much though)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:44 am 

In short answer, yes. The Green Brick has a large range on the low end, as well, some people take it right after 500 grit stones. I start almost all touch ups on it. I'm somewhat impressed it got such good results on a jump to 8k, but I'm personally comfortable with it for a jump to 5-6k.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:21 am 

Report back when you've used the 400/1000 for flattening stones. Ive been thinking about buying one for a bit, but I'm not sure whether to get the 120 or the combo plate. Let me know how it works for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:21 am 

Lepus wrote:In short answer, yes. The Green Brick has a large range on the low end, as well, some people take it right after 500 grit stones. I start almost all touch ups on it. I'm somewhat impressed it got such good results on a jump to 8k, but I'm personally comfortable with it for a jump to 5-6k.

Shaun Fernandez goes from the Green Brick to the Snow white in his favorite set. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mrfa3stcoset.html

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:41 am 

defaultanon> if you are thinking about that plate for flattening you will want to buy them in bulk.... yes it works but it wears very quick... I use it for lapping my high grit stones only and sometimes to raise a quick bit of mud on the naturals... for the price its great just don't expect it to stay that way for a very long time... for sharpening knives, it does work quick but again its wear rate is quick too...

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next