It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kono Fujiyama White #2 150mm Petty First Look
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:13 am 

I recently purchased this Konosuke Fujiyama petty from CKTG, with no handle. I've been dying to try a Fujiyama and I didn't have petty yet, so I took the plunge on it. I have used it for a couple nights now and can provide some provisional thoughts. I made the handle myself, and it was my first handle build project. (Some more information about the process can be found here: handle-wood-finish-recommendation-t6892-10.html. I ended up finishing it to 220 grit sandpaper, doing 5 coats of tung oil, and then attaching blade to handle with a couple slivers of wood as wedges and some hot melt. It is firm enough for the moment. I will make it more permanent later, but I am not sure how far out I want the machi to be yet. It can be seated all the way to the handle, but I am enjoying some extra finger space for use in a pinch grip.)

I apologize for the somewhat grainy cell phone photos.

The knife is thin at the spine and light, as one would expect. It seems nicely ground, and thin behind the edge for a knife that is so short.

It has a certain something, exudes quality and style in a way that puts it a cut above my other knives. From the moment I took it out of the box, even without a handle, it was clearly a well-designed knife and a piece of artistry. It is beatifully finished, with a nicely rounded spine and choil. The knife started taking patina very quickly, and I'm leaving that alone for now even though the knife almost seems to cry out to be kept spotless. This is the patina from fresh out of the box, after slicing four strawberries for pancakes:

I have since used it to dice a small amount of onion, to mince a number of garlic cloves, some ginger, and two jalapeños, slice a bunch of scallions, and a couple other light-duty tasks. The patina is developing quickly, but I haven't found it to be problematically reactive with ingredients.

The blade has a good profile for board work, despite being short. The blade edge is 151 mm long, 27.5 mm tall at the heel, and has a narrow tip with a nice taper. Despite this, it is a really stiff blade. There is a little flex toward the tip, but otherwise it is pretty much inflexible. The blade profile actually includes a short but distinct flat spot toward the heel, and works well for push cutting.

Now, a petty of this height may not seem great for use as a mini-gyuto, but I have found it actually works quite well. The knife is long enough that a pinch grip doesn't rob you of all the usable length, and keeping the handle off the edge of the cutting board leaves enough space for fingers. However, in making the handle I also experimented with a wide D shape with a clear facet along the right-hand side. One unexpected plus of this shape is that it allows a firm grip on the handle without wrapping your fingers all the way around, so I can use it anywhere on the board despite the short blade height. A more traditional handle might limit this use somewhat.

As to cutting performance, I can say that the knife cuts really well for everything I've tested far. It is currently my favorite knife for mincing small ingredients even after only a few uses. It isn't the smoothest for horizontal cuts on onions, as it is slightly thicker at the tip than some of my gyutos, and shorter knives generally have a more abrupt increase in thickness, but it did well enough and that honestly won't be its main use. The vertical cuts were all very smooth and easy. I did mince garlic using horizontal cuts as well, and on those it performed admirably.

For those interested, the knife out of the box was very sharp near the heel, but less so toward the tip. I sharpened it up before running it through my tests.

Post subject: Re: Kono Fujiyama White #2 150mm Petty First Look
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:21 am 

Great review dude and awesome work on the handle. Definitely inspiring me to give a go at making my own handle as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:07 pm 

Ack, I meant to put this in the Review forum. If someone could move it that would be great!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:06 pm 

That handle looks great estayton!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:48 pm 

Great handle! What kind of wood did you use, looks like curly maple? I bought the Kono Fujiyama 150 blade also when they were available. It was a super value on a very well crafted blade. I put a simple handle on it that was taken off another petty that I am using until I get another handle made up. You are right Kono does it right on the forged white#2 blade. It takes a screaming edge easily and holds it. No surprise that you like the Fujiyama it is one of the better knives on the site. Check out their 240 gyutos when you get a chance!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 pm 

It is curly maple and wenge. The wenge has some open grain that tends to collect the oil finish and takes a while to dry, but it was nice to work with otherwise.

I will say this has given me a taste of the Fujiyama series and I want more. The nice thing about the petty is it is a comparative bargain. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does over the long term, but I don't have the data yet to corroborate its edge retention.

Thanks for the comments about the handle. I've already shaped and am currently finishing a second handle, an octagonal wa for my Goko White #1. chronosmark: give it a try! I don't know what you have for woodworking equipment and experience, but so far it hasn't taken much. I am thinking of acquiring one or two other things to make future projects easier, however: like an actual drill press.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]