It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Richmond Laser AS 240 - First Look
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:22 am 

Hey everyone, new guy here and to finer sharp things. Just got my Richmond Laser AS Gyuto 240mm in the mail today! Figured I'd make my first post a decent one with some pics and a quick look at it. I'm not a professional chef, just a crappy home cook trying to step up the game(disclaimer).

First of all the customer experience was great. Ordered at like 11pm on the 1st. It shipped out the 2nd and was at my door the 5th including the 4th holiday!

I only own two other good knives and they're only a Tojiro ITK 210 Gyuto and 150 Petty. I bought those two from here as my first plunge into the J knife world to teach myself sharpening and dealing with carbon. Even though these are the only other two I have to reference I'm going to try and limit comparing since it's not really the same category.

Upon opening the box I was greeted with this beauty. Fit and finish seem excellent to me. The handle is gorgeous and the seams are perfect on it. It's filled where the tang enters the handle as well. Very nice attention to detail. OOTB edge is sharp enough for the paper test but not quite as sharp as I have made my ITK's but those things came out the box pretty rough. The cladding looks great as well. The spine is not rounded but I like the look of it with a sharp edge. I'm not sure why a lot of people mention that with knives. Does it get uncomfortable in a professional setting using it for so long? It's not a problem at all in the home scene for me.

It looks about the same thickness at the top of the blade as my ITK but when you hold them both together looking down the blade you can see a HUGE difference. The Richmond is razor thin for like 3 times the distance up the blade as the ITK. I have only cut up one onion with it so far to test but it glides through much nicer even though I have the Tojiro sharper. By this I mean the horizontal cuts I made to an onion before dicing. With the ITK if I press down at all on the onion it wants to stick in there. The Richmond just flies through it. I'm gonna have some good times with this baby.

You can see my experimentation knife(the ITK) with multiple forced patina patterns on it haha. And the Chicago in the background is the only knife the wife is allowed to use :P

Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser AS 240 - First Look
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 am 

Great pics! Looks like a gorgeous knife.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:29 am 

Just got mine today, the Fifth of July. All I can say is, wow. Awesome performer right out of the box. Eats ingredients alive, and the first knife in the 10" range that can mince garlic and shallots as fine as any petty, that I've tried. I had one three hour prep-a-thon with it this afternoon, and It already has an even, beautiful grey/blue patina on the exposed core steel. In all I prepped a green pepper (didn't have to, just grabbed one to see how it did), onions, potatoes, carrots, radishes, celery, tomatoes, dried figs, garlic, shallots, spring onions, various chile's, a bunch of cabbage, rosemary, oregano, basil, mint, parsley, lemons and even three loaves of bread. All with the edge that came on it. It's still seemingly as sharp as it was when I opened the box. I am excited to get a really nicely polished edge on it, and let it fly. It's clear that this knife is going to spend a lot of time in my hand. It is replacing an older Shun Classic 10" chefs, which is destined to hit the mag bar in my home kitchen, this puppy goes in my knife roll for sure. Between this and my 120 and 150mm petties. Kajiwara and Tanaka respectively, I can do everything. I'm starting to think about getting a smaller, leather roll now too. My Shun nakiri, and ultimate utility (pretty much the best sandwich making knife ever conceived) are probably the only knives of my previous set that will see work use. I would recommend this knife to anyone looking to get into Japanese knives. I'll post some pictures when I figure out how.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:33 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:34 am 

Very nice Doug! I can't wait to get some petina on the exposed Aogami, I love that look.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:18 am 

As for your question about relieved edges, it is much more comfortable, especially in a pinch grip, and especially where the blade edge ends and returns to the tang, it also lends a really high quality feeling to a knife. It's a feel good thing, because you know the smith was thinking of the end user. It can get uncomfortable when you have sharp edges where your hand contacts the blade, but I wouldn't say its a horror show during long prep sessions. It's most annoying when you are really choking up on the knife like you would to mince small ingredients. A really fine mince is most important with intense flavors like garlic and shallots. I'll probably still back down to my 150 or 120mm petty for most of that stuff anyway though. The greatest advantage of a gyuto, and this one in particular, is that you get the stability and cutting power of a long heavy blade, and the precision of a small blade. Can't completely replace a good midsize petty, but the great thing is this knife is just short enough to use on the line, and just good enough at everything to negate the need for a second knife at arms reach. A lot of guys like to say that this knife is not a "true laser", which I guess in the strictest sense of the term it isn't, but it performs like one, and you don't have to worry so much about banging it around a little. I love mine, it's going to serve me well for a long time. The handle is especially good. Feels every bit as high quality as my Shun's stabilized pakka wood handles, and anyone that's used Shun knives knows, that they set a standard for quality of fit and finish, setting aside niggles about price, and Shun being a "big brand" (lol, I bet there are 100x as many Henckels or Wusthoff's, and Shuns do come sharp ootb, and VERY pretty.

Last edited by JourneymanDoug on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:28 am 

Funny, that Chicago cutlery knife you have in the background is the first knife I bought to use in a restaurant kitchen. Light years better than the industrial grinder sharpened white handles we had in the shop, but man, thinking back, the soft stainless used in that blade is what got me to buy my Shun classic 10" chefs about three months later. I remember ordering it, I was in college, and couldn't believe I was spending nearly $200 on a knife.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:42 am 

Nice review, and nice pictures. Welcome to the forum and I hope the Laser brings you many years of smooth cutting. It is a great looking blade.

I find it is enough to just knock down the sharp corners. I don't round the spines completely, but it helps to just barely remove the edges on each side of the spine, just to make the pinch grip more comfortable. I have knives I haven't touched at all, but some of the more rustic ones were uncomfortably sharp there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:19 am 

I'm going to order mine this coming Wednesday this knife has been on the top of my wish list for a good while but i kept missing it being in stock just a few more days . I just hope they last till then fingers crossed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:27 pm 

Quick update. Talking about relieved edges I took another look at the knife. It's actually been done on the right side of the knife already. The top of the spine and left sides are still sharp edges. I feel this is a nice touch and works for my middle finger since I cut right handed.

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next