It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Some Stones!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 pm 

These are being compared to Shapton Pro Shapton Glass

Chosera 1000 Grit (Versus Glass 1k, SPro 1.5k)
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nach10grwast.html
Great feed back and excellent feel on the stone while sharpening. Cuts fast and gives a good toothy edge on German steel. I like this in terms of how it feels sharpening, the glass cuts faster, but doesn't have the same connection with me in terms of sharpening.

Chosera 2,000 Grit (Versus Green Brick of Joy)
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nach200grshs.html
Good feed back on this one as well, harder than the green brick, doesn't build as much mud either while working the stone. I like the green brick for stopping on softer steel knives (Mac Pro pairing knife) however this is also a good stopping stone for those that don't have the GBJ. Great stone good in progression.

Naniwa IE-0300 (Versus Shapton Glass 3k / Pro 5k)
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naniwaie0300.html
This stone cuts fast and leaves a good polish on the edge, good feed back for a 4k, and still gives you a slightly toothy edge for cutting items such as tomatoes, have stopped several knives at this stone and loved the results. Very glad I picked it up to try.
As an inbetween the two shapton grits, I like this stone much better than both of those, leaves a better polish than the pro 5k, and cuts better than the glass 3k. Excellent stone for the price.

Naniwa Super Stone 8,000 (Glass 6k)
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nasust8grnob.html
Cuts fast, doesn't clog quickly and leaves a great polish on edges. Good finishing stone if you're looking for a nice smooth edge an a good polishing job.
Against the Glass 6k, this has more "soul" so to speak, better feed back and doesn't feel quiet as un-natural as the shapton glass 6k stone, leaves better polish as well.

Post subject: Re: Some Stones!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 pm 

How do the choseras compare to the shapton pros size and weight wise? Do they seem to be thicker and heavier (thinking density) to warrant the extra money over the shaptons (all other things aside)? I've been interested in the choseras but so far all I have bought are shapton pros and am wondering if I should just stick with what I know and like or if I should venture out. Specificlly I am thinking my next stone will be the shapton pro 2000 (I currently have the 220, 1000 and 5000).

Post subject: Re: Some Stones!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:48 am 

Like your comparisons Nick. I debated on the Naniwa IE-0300 for a long time. By the time I decided to get it it was gone, imagine that! :D
Got the Pro 5k instead but haven't used it enough to form and opinion but I think I'll like it. I'm still going to have to get the IE-0300 when it comes back.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]