It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kohetsu 210mm First Impressions yadadada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:10 pm 

So I think after handling a knife through multiple ingredients and for a couple hours you know how it performs.

I usually do a couple of mandatory tests being sliced and diced onions, carrots, potatoes, green onions bias cut and straight cut, turnip, peppers, tomato, sweet potato or squash, protein of some sort. After all this, I feel I've got a good handle on what the knife can do and how long the edge will last until it decides to roll over. About changing the bevels on my knives, I pretty much just touch up the shoulders versus a complete re-bevel.

okay, on to the review. The kohetsu looked like any other knife OOTB, mine was previously used as a "test" model so I won't comment on OOTB too much but it doesn't appear that it has been sharpened as it's still a mirror polish. That being said after a couple days I took it to the stones and one strop.

The knife falls through food unlike anything else I've ever used, really the only effort needed is to line up the cut, you then just let it fall through the soft foods.

Onions: This knife is stellar when it comes to onions, super fast thin slices along with nice handling when doing a quick dice. Awesome showing when it comes to onions.

Carrots: Not the easiest thing for this knife to tackle, due to it being so thin the grind isn't capable of having such a large convex which continues to push the harder ingredients apart. That being said, it's far better at this task then Shuns or my goko.

Potatoes: The grind test... Did fairly well minimal sticking even when the starch began to load up on the face of the knife.

Green onions: Very easy to chop with, nice flat spot for going through a decent amount of product. However due to this knife being so lightweight it suffers from not being able to go through a bulk of product. However you can go through the smaller amount of product so fast it doesn't matter. Bias cuts at a high angle are quite hard for some knives to do unless crazy sharp. Not an issue for the kohetsu

Turnip and Sweet potato: On the harder ingredients it does require some more effort but does not by any means struggle. You have to add more of a push to your cut.

Peppers: Not at problem, flies through this like nothing.

Tomato: Edge can get so sharp it's a joke with tomatoes

The edge retention works. The edge stays in tact for quite a while and I find I don't have to hone during my shift.

knife is crazy lightweight which catches you off-guard every time you pick it up.

I really liked SG2 and 19C27 for it's edge retention, however this just blows them both out of the park. I like to chop and this knife keep up with me without breaking a sweat.

Handle: Ho wood with buff horn ferrule is nice, the finish is better than on lower end knives.

Simply, if I could give anyone a knife as a gift. This would be the knife. Like the name it simply brings joy to the user and reinvigorates the way we think about cooking.

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu 210mm First Impressions yadadada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:31 am 

Nice review, and good to have your thoughts on the Kohetsu. I have been eyeing these and everything I hear about them seems to agree that they aren't flashy, but are superb knives where it counts. I'm glad you are enjoying yours.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:28 pm 

estayton wrote:Nice review, and good to have your thoughts on the Kohetsu. I have been eyeing these and everything I hear about them seems to agree that they aren't flashy, but are superb knives where it counts. I'm glad you are enjoying yours.

Ahh another great thing about the kohetsu, very humble. Just a plain jane looking knife compared to crazy Damascus and Tsuchime patterns. Yet it cuts far above the rest, truly a joy to work with. Pick one up you will not be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 pm 

Seconded. First day I brought in my 240 to the kitchen, nobody thought much of it. Then, they used it. Now one is almost scared he'll take a chunk out of his knuckle, it performs so effortlessly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:38 pm 

Update: So after a little more use with the knife and preparing a wider variety of ingredients I'm noticing what the knife likes and what it would rather avoid.

First off anything that is soft in nature or water filled this knife adores, true bliss cutting through onions, celery and peppers. However when it comes to tougher ingredients such as carrots, it doesn't struggle but it's not a ferrari out of the gate. It's so thin that with minimal convex it would rather you pick up a different blade.

In terms of edge retention this knife is pretty good compared to 19C27 and W#1. It holds a better edge for much longer and can be brought back on a strop.

I really do like this knife however I wouldn't consider it a one and done knife. It belongs in everyone's kit, but by no means does it excel at every task it's faced with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Nice Lunatic. Thanks! :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 am 

Thats a great review! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:18 pm 

You got it...great for softer stuff, onions peppers, celery great...carrots...not so great. Actually pretty good but they require more muscle. I cut some carrots for my boss to use as a veggie for dinner service. A woman asked the owners wife why the carrots taste so good. She relayed the message back to the chef...her husband.

I told him that's because I cut them :) Really...bruised cutting does impact the flavor of carrots.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:06 am 

Umberto wrote:You got it...great for softer stuff, onions peppers, celery great...carrots...not so great. Actually pretty good but they require more muscle. I cut some carrots for my boss to use as a veggie for dinner service. A woman asked the owners wife why the carrots taste so good. She relayed the message back to the chef...her husband.

I told him that's because I cut them :) Really...bruised cutting does impact the flavor of carrots.

It still does carrots fairly well. But I'd rather use something with a bit more heft.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]