It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tanaka kurouchi 165mm deba
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:46 pm 

Just received this knife today. I have been wanting to start adding a few single bevels, and have wanted to try this style knife for filleting fish. If you saw my original question in the recommendation board, I was originally looking at a different knife for much more money. I had read about this one and although I don't consider myself a knife snob, i do appreciate nice things. I had it in my head this knife probably wasn't what I was looking for, but it's on sale for $80, worth a try, if I don't like it, no biggie. I have not had a chance to use it yet, but I will give you my first impression, then when I use it, I'll update my post.

The main complaint I have heard about this knife is the handle is not that great. This I think is the thing that surprised me the most, the handle is really not that bad. I was expecting something like a file handle. Granted it is not anything special, but for this price point I think it's very acceptable. The fit where the tang enters the handle is very good. Actually better than some of my knives that cost more than twice as much. I plan on putting a new handle on it since I'm not a big fan of ho wood. However, there really is nothing wrong with the handle the way it is. The blade is very well constructed and nicely proportioned. The edges are eased, the grinds are precise and crisp, very sharp ootb. All in all I'm pretty impressed with it so far. This is a no nonsense down and dirty work horse type that looks as if the only thing it lacks is bling. Thanks Mel for steering me this way it's a very good knife and GREAT value. I'll post later after I use on fish and will try a chicken as well.

Post subject: Re: Tanaka kurouchi 165mm deba
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:51 am 
Forum Moderator

RED <> I knew you'd be pleased, and it is just that... a workhorse. The handle, in of itself, is not so bad IMO... it's that damn lacquer finish they have on it. It gets SLICK with fish.

The 165 is AWESOME on chickens, and I'd suggest using it on them first so you can realize the most beautiful of iridescent blue rainbow patinas... poultry patina is really quite spectacular.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37 pm 

Good idea on using on poultry first. I need to post a picture of my honesuki in the patina thread. It's the only thing it's used for and I've literally don't thousands with it. It's a beautiful blueish purple with hints of pink. It is spectacular. I can see what you mean about the finish on it. I think I will sand that off before I use it. I can see where it would get very slippery.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

RED <> Tung Oil leaves a nice finish after sanding.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]