It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Names of knives in posts?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 pm 

Hi, not sure where to put this, but this seemed best.

It's a request--could people put the names of knives they're referring to in their posts? I know part of the purpose of this forum is to drive traffic to the sales pages, but it's a bit annoying to *have to* click on a link to view a knife to know the product the poster is referring to. Can people include the name of the product? Many times I'm familiar with it, so don't need to always click on the link. By all means include the link--I'm sure many people will continue to look at the product for additional information.

Post subject: Re: Names of knives in posts?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 am 
Forum Moderator

Todd, good suggestion. I'll look to edit some of the topic titles to clarify the product.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:37 am 

Thanks for listening.

To be clear, I'm not just talking about topic titles. I think any post in a thread that has a recommendation should include the name of the product as well as the link. I guess that takes a little more time to write, but it makes it a lot more user-friendly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:59 am 
Forum Moderator

I agree. Sometimes the links are changed so they reflect the name of the knife, other times it's just the link. It gets confusing when there are different models under the maker, too that makes it hard to determine which one they are referring to!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:36 am 
Site Admin

Yes name and link together is the way to go. That way people that are casually reading the forum don't have to follow the link and those that are interested in the knife or what it looks like can follow the link to check it out. I'll try to be more consistent doing this on my posts since I'm the #1 blabbermouth on here.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 pm 

Also, try to use the full name or, at least, an unambiguous name.

Like any group for quicker, easier communications, we tend to use nicknames, abbreviations, or shortened names and terms. This "group speak" is a real barrier for people unfamiliar with knives or Japanese.

My favorite example was when a knife was identified by the first name of the knife maker. Being an English only speaker, the name just seemed like another mysterious Japanese term to me. Took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]