It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kaneshige Stainless 240mm Wa-Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't normally use any of the knives I receive from Mark for doing the Quick Look videos, but I found this one so intriguing that I had to give it a try for a while and report back to the forum :-).

This knife has a really nice blend of heft without feeling "heavy", grind geometry, edge profile, good fit & finish, and all around performance.

The factory edge bevel was about 80/20 with a right hand bias. I'm a lefty and this is the first double bevel Gyuto that has steered on me while cutting product. It steered quite surprisingly to the left during cuts - I double checked this using other knives just to confirm my sanity ;).

I went ahead and used the EP Apex to put a 14-15 degree 50/50 edge bevel, taken to the Shapton GS 4K level. This restored straight cuts into product for this lefty. I suspect the actual blade grind is 50/50 and the edge did not match the knife geometry at 80/20 OOTB. Just a guess on my part.

The knife also cut better after the re-bevel and sharpening. The edge is not super thin, but pretty thin. After using it a while, I used the EP at the lowest angle I could setup and ground the bevel shoulders down a bit to thin the edge a little. This helped a bit, but made less of an improvement than the initial 15 degree sharpening.

The tip doesn't go through onions like they're not there, but it performs pretty well - comparable to many other J-Knives that aren't super thin at the edge. Where this knife really shines IMO is general use and also to process tougher products like hard squash. I cut up quite a few acorn squash into wedges, cubed up a big (6 lb) butternut squash, and did some smaller squash. This thing handled them with aplomb. Sweet potatoes? Check. Slice some pork tenderloin? Check. Plow through a mirepoix? Check.

It's got a thick enough spine that you can pound on it with the heel of your hand to power through halving a squash, etc. It's got enough weight to muscle through cubing up butternut squash with authority, then attack a bell pepper or mince some parsley with ease. This is a very versatile knife.

The steel has also held an edge quite well. I did lots of forceful glide-push cuts cubing the butternut on a poly board and the knife was hitting the board reasonably hard. The edge still did really well cutting other things after that big squash.

This is not a knife with a delicate feel to it - I wouldn't reach for this first to brunoise shallots, but it's a great all purpose tool that takes some punishment (when used correctly).

IMO this is a great value for the money. I did sand the spine/choil/neck area a bit to smooth them out, but the rest of the F & F is really good.

"Workhorse" is an apt description here. If you are looking for a lower cost workhorse performer to complement a smaller or more "laser" like knife ITK, this baby might be just what you need.

I haven't held the 210 version, but I'd suspect it's just more of the same in a smaller package :-).

Steve

Post subject: Re: Kaneshige Stainless 240mm Wa-Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

I think these are going to really catch fire once enough people buy them and give them a try. It's a whole lot of knife for the money.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kast24wa.html

We ran out of the 210s but we're getting 25 more of them in about a month. We still have some 240s left from our initial order.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]