It is currently Sun May 24, 2015 7:21 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tanaka Ginsan 270mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:50 am 

Height - 53mm
Length -266mm
Weight - TBD (light to mid weight @ 270 class)

Initial Impressions....

OOTB, I am flabbergasted by the F+F on this knife. Having experience with Tanaka, I expected some kind of swamp beast from the deep abyss. I will say, the knife was pretty dirty when I pulled it out. I was so pleasantly surprised to find the handle install was very well done, leaving the blade road nice and straight. No gaps for gunk other foul smelling goop to slide in down the neck of the tang. The machi is just barely exposed. There is no gap between the handle and the ferrule or even a step down from the handle to the ferrule, which is a pretty nice horn ferrule and a vast step up from the resin ferrules of the KU line. The Ho wood (pretty sure it is Ho wood) is a little course compared to the smooth horn, and honestly it was a little disturbing in the hand. 150 grit sandpaper to the rescue, quickly settling the matter entirely.

Onto the blade itself.....
The blade is straight. Which can be a matter of no small issue when they are not so. This Tanaka lacks the super rough choil and spine of its brethren, but again, as I have said in the past, those looking for a Konosuke level of smoothing had better roll up their sleeves and get to work. I find them absolutely usable as is.

The Edge......
A BIG ZERO out of the box, for those who place stake in such details. I used it to slice an apple down OOTB today,while it did cut the apple, it was largely due to the grind that it would. I quit the edge test right then and there. Just moments ago I put it to a Latte 400 and then to a Shapton Pro 1500 (because I'm lazy tonight). Ginsan steel is a new steel to me, but there were no issues that crept up in the initial sharpen, I took the bevel down to a modest 15 degrees (freehand, so best guess) from its practically non existent state (seriously, like, 35 degrees). The blade now has life through news print, obviously. I'm going to leave it here for now, partly out of sloth and partly out of curiosity. This knife is quite thin at the edge and also quite light overall.

In closing......
Definitely another one of Tanaka's great grinds on this knife, but it appears this shop may have picked up some tips in the F+F department as well. I was seriously ready for a turd to jump out of that box but my first thoughts were :

"This isn't so bad, actually it is rather good."
"Just dirty."

Photos and other what have you to follow at a later time, I have the handle in a bag of oil now, maybe I will do a before and and after comparison on that because the handle was a little rough and had some kind of yellow stains on it. I suspect the oil will darken it in pretty stark contrast compared to OOTB. All in all this knife seems to follow in the suit of the other Tanaka knives in that those who aren't faint of heart and are willing to work a little can get a great knife for a really great price.

Post subject: Re: Tanaka Ginsan 270mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Dan. These little shops are dirty as hell so it doesn't surprise me that much. I'll pass it on to them. I'm glad you like the knife.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:22 pm 

Great review! I'm glad the F&F is getting better. The ginsan that I bought a while back needed about an hour of sanding on the choil and spine to make it remotely comfortable. Tanaka's HT on the steel is pretty awesome; imo, it really feels like carbon on the stones, takes a very good edge and holds as well as any non-powdered stainless.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:46 am 

You've given several good reviews and comparisons lately Dan, Thanks for taking the time and sharing with everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:57 am 

Jeff B wrote:You've given several good reviews and comparisons lately Dan, Thanks for taking the time and sharing with everyone.

Thanks for the kind words Jeff. I look forward to being able to update this one in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:45 am 

After I have put some time in with this knife I can put forward a recommendation for it. Every time I reached for it the knife delivered. The performance held up well between sharpening and went for long stretches on the board, at that. I found this knife did acceptably as a slicer on cooked turkey breasts, beef rounds, and pork loins. I have used it to cut hard rolls and soft breads, both tasks were handled well. The knife does well on Mirepoix ingredients, and didn't wedge on any celery stalk or carrot I put in front of it. I used it on a bucket of Dill pickles and it will get over 2 or 3, even 4 of them at once,depending on size. The edge is keen enough to grab right onto the pickle skin (anyone can sharpen it). A little while after I got this knife I traded a Kanehiro AS for a Kamo R-2 and that knife (R-2) pretty much put this guy away. The final nail in the coffin was a Takeda 270mm. I just got away from using it and so I just listed it on the classifieds here @CKTG forum.

The bottom line is that this knife delivers on Tanaka's reputation for fantastic blades at competitive prices. I don't hesitate at all to recommend this Smith's work. The KU and Ginsan series have both been great, personally I prefer the KU series. I want to get my hands on one from the Sekiso line next.

Right Blade Face
Left Blade Face
Choil Shot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:12 pm 

Looks like a great knife. Thanks for the write-up.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]